The Smoke Hollow Pro Serie 4-in-1 Gas and Charcoal Grill is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a combo grill with 4 unique grilling areas that each do their own thing, which makes you the ultimate backyard grill master.
Not only are you grilling with charcoal, but you’re also grilling with propane. Not only are you grilling, but you’re also smoking in an offset firebox. You’re searing some hefty T-bones on an infrared burner. You have drumsticks on the charcoal warmer waiting to be devoured.
The Smoke Hollow 4-in-1 is for barbecue lovers who can’t make up their minds, love to mix it up, or want to do everything at once.
Who Is Smoke Hollow Pro Combo Grill For?
Grills with multiple functions like the Smoke Hollow Pro 4-in-1 are meant for two kinds of grillers. You have those who can’t stick to one type of grilling and love to bounce around, or you have those who want a lot of grilling space but don’t want to spend a ton of money.
The Smoke Hollow Pro 4-in-1 is the perfect grill for people who want to do everything but don’t want to spend a lot of money. It’s great for those of us who want to have some fun in our backyard, entertain, and feed those we love a veritable smorgasbord while grilling all in one place.
What Are the Primary Features and Benefits of the Smoke Hollow Pro Combo Grill?
The thing about this grill is… a lot of things. There’s a lot. It has everything.
It has something you didn’t think you’d need on a grill, but once you read that it’s there you’re going to find yourself feeling like you can’t live without it, like when you’re full after supper, but you see an ice cream ad on television, and somehow you will get more room to appear in your stomach. This grill is for grilling gluttons.
- Solid cast iron grill grates
- One customer said they converted their grill to natural gas with a little bit of work and help from their gas company.
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty (emphasis on “limited,” mind you).
- A charcoal-fired offset smoker box
- A charcoal grill
- A searing burner
- infrared, meaning it heats up fast
- 12,000 BTU’s
- small but can fit about 8 burgers
- Gas gill
- 3 cylindrical steel burners
- they heat up a little slower than cast iron burners
- grates are still cast iron
- 30,000 BTU’s
- Propane side of the grill comes with flare guards
- Quality size and design
- It’s sturdy. It weighs about 218 pounds
- 5”H by 23” W by 82” L. It’s a little big. You’ll need help moving it around once you’ve put it together.
Drawbacks for This Grill?
Nothing is perfect, not even the Smoke Hollow Combo Grill. And the internet will always be the first to tell you when something is wrong!
So, here’s a short compilation of what others online have put in their reviews:
- Many customers have had problems with the grill rusting, even with a grill cover on it. One review reported that while it’s a wonderful grill, because of the rusting problem, it won’t last much longer than two years. However, another customer posted online that they’re first Smoke Hollow 4-in-1 lasted 8 years, and then they bought the newer model.
- Many customers suggest purchasing your own grill cover to help prevent rust, instead of using the one it comes with.
- The gas grill is too small and try to double it as a smoker if you want to try smoking two things at once on the Smoke Hollow 4-in-1. Maybe… shrimp. You can smoke some shrimp.
- The Smoker
- You have to coax the smoker a little before getting good results.
- doesn’t work great right off the bat because of an airflow problem
- It might be a bit small for big smoking projects like large briskets.
- too much ash
- raises the grates higher using bricks
- scoop out the ash halfway through smoking sessions
- Another reviewer said that this is the best grill they’ve ever had, and they love it, but the charcoal pan is a little thin and may not hold up to heat very long. He still loves the grill, however, because he enjoys the 4 options for outdoor cooking.
- It comes with a lot of pieces and vague instructions. Make sure to plan time to assemble.
- One reviewer said that it’s a good grill, but it’s a shame it doesn’t come with a better warranty, instead of its standard 1-year limited warranty.
What Are the Advantages of Having This Grill?
We already went over primary features and benefits, but benefits don’t always mean the same thing as “advantages.” You’ve read about why this grill is excellent. Now, why is this grill better than other grills, despite the drawbacks we’ve previously listed?
- Easy to clean
- coated in porcelain-enamel
- easily wiped down with a rag and some soap and water
- Easy assembly, despite how time-consuming it is
- 860 square inches of grilling space
- An additional 100 square inch warming rack on the gas grill
- Push-button electronic ignition system
- starting burners and adjusters’ temperatures is easy
- Commercial-grade gauges allow you to monitor internal temperatures while you grill
- Adjustable charcoal tray with six positions
- let’s you experiment with heat and/or slow cooking
- Built-in wheels to help with portability
- The side burner can be used for more than just warming – it’s great for searing steaks and other foods as well
- Easy-lift grate system
- Ash/grease removal drawers
- Sliding front air damper
- 2 condiment trays and 2 wire mesh shelves
- You can cook about anything on it outside of a ham sandwich.
- It’s easy to use!
This grill is a little bit of a mixed bag. It comes with so many features that are all crazy advantageous. All lovers of outdoor cooking are sure to love them and want to try them out. But What about the supposed problem with rust? Can that be defeated with a good grill cover? A lot of reviews online say that spending the money on such a grill cover is worth it.
What about the ash in the firebox?
Is a small smoker in your backyard worth the occasional ash dump during smoking sessions? On a grill that can also be doing 3 or 4 other things at the same time, it’s smoking a pork shoulder, that’s probably something a lot of people are willing to look over.
Do the pros outweigh the cons?
It’s probably a case of opinion on this one. It depends on your priorities as a lover of grilling. If you aren’t big on smoking or doing all of your cooking outside, then the cons are probably some hefty deal breakers.
If you’re feeling a little iffy, you can compare the Smoke Hollow 4-in-1 to some other combination grills.
On the other hand, if you absolutely need to cook four things at once and you need to do it in your backyard, and you need to do it yesterday, there probably aren’t a whole lot of other grills like this that are available at this price. It is a great affordable multi-use grill for some good family outdoor cooking.