Wusthof vs. Cutco has been a big dilemma for me for months! I’ve wanted a knife set that would complement my kitchen and be functional yet durable at the same time. It seemed impossible to have all three features until I found out about Cutco and Wusthof knives.
However, then another problem arose. Cutco Vs. Wusthof, which one was the one to buy?
It took me a few months of research to figure out which one I preferred, which made me realize that it depends on what your specific needs are since they are both excellent products.
So how can you pick a favorite? Let’s have a look at the details, features, pros, cons, differences, and similarities between these two great knife sets!
Cutco Knives- Offers A Range of Products
Cutco Cutlery and Kitchen Knives are one of the pillars of the knives sales landscape in the U.S. Founded in 1949, the company is now one of the largest manufacturers and sellers of cutlery in the country.
This company offers a range of products that cover any of your cooking needs, from cookware to utensils, and knives for outdoors, indoors, professional kitchens, and sporting.
Cutco aims at delivering high-quality products that can fit nicely in personal kitchens as well as in professional cooking facilities and outdoor BBQ sets.
There are over 100 cutlery items sold by the company, and it is possible to buy them all online.
Originally, the company used to have a multi-level marketing strategy and utilized direct sales, but, unlike other Cutco competitors, the company is adapting and expanding to respond to changing customer needs.
Cutco cutlery leaves each customer maximum freedom to buy exactly the product they are after. Different items are sold individually or in complete sets, or you can just pick the ones that are still missing in your collection.
For me, this is one of the most important features of the company. I know how annoying it can be having to buy a whole set of knives when all you need is a chef’s knife or some steak cutlery.
The most common way of purchasing these extraordinary knives is in the 6 piece set. It includes:
- A microfiber polishing cloth
- Gourmet prep knife
- Traditional cheese knife
- 5-inch Petite Santoku
- Sheath Set to cover and protect your knives and to carry them around safely.
However, if there is only one of these knives that you would like to introduce to your kitchen, and you are not fond of the others, you can buy your preferred one individually or in a different set.
Among the most popular sellers are the stand-alone Cutco chef knife, the Outdoorsmen set, or the table set.
If you are wondering how you are going to sharpen Cutco knives, some of the sets include a sharpener. The company is also proud to offer an umbrella coverage system for any of the products they sell.
Cutco has been developing its manufacturing strategy over the years, but it has also maintained a few elements from the long tradition of the company. And along with over 600 employees, the company today has over 14 million happy and loyal customers.
If that’s not enough for you, you should also know that the company offers a “forever performance and sharpness guarantee.”
If you know that your knives will have a hard life due to the everyday use you are going to put them through, then you will love the forever replacement service agreement offered by Cutco.
Why Cutco Cutlery Is Unique?
Let’s have a look at the few features that make these knives unique:
- Each knife is equipped with a Double-D recessed edge, which is a series of three razor-sharp edges located on the blade which protect the knife’s delicate edges from touching surfaces that can damage the blade.
- While the protection makes your knife safe to use even in rough situations, the edge lets the blade cut easily in every direction, whether forward, backward, or straight down!
- A new strategy in Cutco knives creates incorporates hollow-ground on the sides of the blade blank, which increases the precision of the cut. You won’t find any pieces of food still attached to the knives after cutting!
- If you are looking for a product that is durable with minimal upkeep, it’s worth trying Cutco knives. The soft blades are transformed into hard blades by a steep heating process. It makes them balanced, flexible, and sharp for longer, along with increasing their resistance to rust and stains.
- One of the features that I like most is that these knives can complement every kitchen. Not only they are incredibly functional, but they are also aesthetically appealing. The blades are also easier to clean with their polish finishing.
- Cutco Knives can also be used by everybody since the handle is ergonomic and made with thermo-resin. This maximizes the grip, creates space for your fingers and fits any kind of hand.
- Additionally, the handle is riveted with nickel-silver alloy, which increases the smoothness and comfort of the handling and cutting experience.
Pros and Cons of Cutco Knives
- Cutco knives are some of the leading cutlery products in North America
- The brand is well-known and respected by over 14 million customers
- The knives are durable, flexible, and resistant to rust and stains
- They come with a ‘forever performance and sharpness guarantee’ along with a ‘forever replacement service agreement’ that even applies for misuse. That means that you are completely covered!
- The knives are sold individually or in various sets to cover any of your cooking needs.
- The sleek finish and alloy rivets make these knives some of the most aesthetically appealing on the market.
- They are easier to find in the U.S. than in the rest of the world. Even third-party suppliers will only ship to certain countries.
- Some users have stated that the price for these knives is slightly higher than they would have liked to pay, but they also reported that they last a lifetime. It’s an investment worth considering!
Wusthof Knives- Will Last You A Long Time
This German brand has created a unique set of knives that are often well above the competition. Wusthof cutlery is created in the typical German manner: precise, good looking, and lasts a lifetime!
The brand has a unique manufacturing method that has not been equaled by anybody else so far. They create their knives starting with raw, high-quality material and overlook the process from start to finish.
These perfect knives are designed by some of the most expert craftsmen in the country. So you can easily trust this company for your kitchen.
One of the new technologies that make Wusthof knives unique products on the market is the innovative PEtec. Developed by the company’s engineers, this technology ensures a higher level of sharpness of the blades, for longer.
In fact, each blade is measured before sharpening by lasers and computers which calculate the exact sharpening angle required for that specific blade. Afterward, the blades are sharpened by a precision robot on a whetstone and polished with a special disc.
This is what makes Wusthof one of the best products on the market and as of yet unparalleled in quality.
The company understands that each chef, professional or not, has unique cooking needs and is looking for a specific cooking experience. That is why on the company’s website you can have a look at a slew of resources and knowledge gathered by expert knives manufacturers, designers, and engineers.
Here you will be able to find out whether you are using the right knife for a specific task or, if not, which one is the knife you are looking for.
Once you know which knife will serve you best and your heart is settled on buying it, you can check out the many sets offered by the company.
For example, one of my favorites is the 4 piece one. It is simple, but it covers any of your needs without taking up too much space.
The set includes:
- A peeler knife
- One paring knife
- One Santoku knife
- One Chef’s Knife
There is no recipe that cannot be attempted with this set!
Let’s have a look at what you should expect from Wusthof knives and at the features that make them unique.
- The blade surface is unique and forged from one single piece of chromium-molybdenum-vanadium steel. It is then hardened to 58° Rockwell while in the production process before being put on the market. This makes each blade incredibly sharp and also easy to sharpen after you bring your new knife home!
Both the edge and the blade can also last a lifetime.
- The blade spine is exceptionally smooth and carefully ground. Due to this design, there are no sharp edges that could press into your thumb and create an uncomfortable feeling.
- The knife is perfectly balanced by the bolster, which is a middle section that connects the handle to the blade. This typical feature allows you to hold the knife easily and adjust it in your hand.
- The rivets on the handle are stainless steel, which is classically strong and ensures that the knife will last longer.
- Due to the PEtech enhanced technology, the cutting edge allows for a superb cutting experience, in which each cut is clean and precise.
- Each blade is marked with visible proof that the knife has been created by none other than Wusthof.
- Any Wusthof kitchen knife can be used by anyone safely since the finger guard protects fingers from sliding down the blade.
- The particular grooves of the handle and the tang allow the knives to be held safely while guaranteeing an enhanced cutting experience.
Pros and Cons of Wusthof Knives
- These knives are made with a unique technology that is still unmatched by all of the company’s competitors.
- They can be bought singularly or in sets.
- The company offers sharpening and upkeep services.
- Wusthof is one of the most renowned knife manufacturers in the world.
- These knives last a lifetime.
- Due to the ergonomic handle, they are perfectly balanced and safe to use.
- The company can help you find the perfect knife or knife set for yourself as they put all of their knowledge at your disposal.
- These knives are an investment.
- Third-party sellers often offer fewer set combinations for a Wusthof knife set than for other knives.
While Cutco Vs. Wusthof can be a great dilemma, you can’t go wrong with either of these two manufacturers!
They both offer incredibly high standards, and their products can be used in both professional and personal kitchens.
Have you tried either of these knives? What did you think of them? Let us know by leaving a comment below!