Do you know how to make Puerto Rican hot chocolate? Puerto Rican hot chocolate has a very special place in the hearts of the residents of Puerto Rico. The recipe has been around for many years, but it also happens to be easy to make.
This recipe is one that everyone is sure to enjoy. Whether you’re a Puerto Rican native missing the taste of home or someone who stumbled across this recipe looking for new ways to make hot chocolate, you’ve found a recipe you should keep memorized.
Now, with absolutely no time to waste, let’s get into making this extraordinary recipe:
Puerto Rican Hot Chocolate Recipe—Let’s Learn How to Make It
For this recipe, you’ll need to set out the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of skim milk or your preferred type of milk
- 2 bars of sweet chocolate (1 oz each)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 oz Edam cheese
The Steps to Make Puerto Rican Hot Chocolate
Now that you’ve set out the ingredients, here are the directions for you to follow:
- Step 1: Grab a small saucepan. Pour in the one tablespoon of water and bring the pan to medium heat.
- Step 2: Once the water is at temperature, place the two bars of chocolate in the saucepan.
- Step 3: When the chocolate bars are in the saucepan, add approximately 1–2 tablespoons of water.
- Step 4: Once the water is added, turn down the heat and stir the chocolate bars with a spoon until the chocolate bars are fully melted.
- Step 5: When the chocolate bars are melted and stirred, pour in the 2 cups of milk and stir until the milk and chocolate bars are well blended.
- Step 6: Once the chocolate and milk have been blended, turn up the heat to bring the water to a boil. Once the mixture in the saucepan has a froth to it, turn the saucepan back down to low heat. The froth from the boiling also indicates that the hot chocolate is ready.
- Step 7: While the “hot chocolate” is boiling, cut the cheese into small pieces/cubes.
- Step 8: Once you’ve cut the cheese into pieces, grab the cup you’ll be drinking out of. Place the slices of cheese into the cup.
- Step 9: Once you’ve placed the cheese cubes in the cup, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour it into the cup.
- Step 10: Serve and enjoy your hot chocolate with cheese!
Tips and Tricks
Now, as we move onward, there are some little tidbits I’d like to share with this recipe:
- The amount of milk you put into the mixture correlates with the amount of hot chocolate you want. For example, if you want one cup of hot chocolate, then you would put in one cup of milk, and one chocolate bar. If you want two cups of hot chocolate, you’d put it in two cups of milk, and two chocolate bars, and so on.
- It’s also said by many people who have made this that, when you get to the halfway point of drinking the hot chocolate, you should then scoop up the cheese with a spoon.
- It’s also said the best brands of chocolate to use for the chocolate bars are Cortes or Goya.
Like I mentioned earlier, Puerto Rican Hot Chocolate is excellent for cold days. However, in Puerto Rico, cold days happen to be a rarity. With that being said, this also makes for a great after-school snack if there are any children in the house.
It is something you could also make as a snack for yourself! While having cheese in hot chocolate may sound odd, I can assure you that you will see why so many people like hot chocolate and cheese together. I also think this would make an excellent drink for the whole family.
I believe this will be a recipe you can cherish for generations, like the people of Puerto Rico have. It’s mentioned by a lot of people that they remember their grandmother making it for them, and it’s one of their best childhood memories.