No one really cares how trash can drinks started neither do we care so much about the original author(s) of this trash can punch drink. No offence guys, everyone is definitely grateful to you guys for coming up with these crazy drinks.
These cocktail drinks are mainly served in parties and they taste so good that you will ultimately find yourself going back for more.But don’t be tricked into doing that, you are going to get so drunk that a blackout will not be very far off from you.
Well, apart from a blackout, I don’t want you puking all over the place, you don’t want that, no one wants that, not even your date (that’s if you went to the party with one).
If you are hosting a party and you are at a loss for what you should serve, then you should try a trash can punch drink. It’s really easy to make and less stressful and it requires no technical skills or special machine, hence it is a nice way to treat a lot of persons with a lot of alcohol.
What is the Relationship Between a Trash Can and Punch Drink?
Like the name implies, it is a punch drink that is contained in a trash can. Before you go all eww and gross, you should be well aware that it taste really good and of course, it is not a dirty trash can.
The trash can used is not even one that has ever had dirt in it, if it was, no one will be drinking it no matter how good and strong the drink. Anything that goes in you should be hygienic lest you fall sick.
The cocktail drink consists of 3 main types of ingredients, there’s the alcohol (examples being everclear, vodka, whiskey), the fruit punch with fruit juices as a substitute or an addition, and lastly, there are the fruits, the fruits are well washed and sliced before being added to the alcohol and fruit punch.
The aim of adding the fruits is to allow the awesome flavors of the fruits to slowly infuse into the punch thus making the punch have a fruity taste and yet still incredibly strong enough to get any one high.
As far as anyone can tell, this drink might have started in a college party or in someone’s room but then, it doesn’t matter where it all started. It exists, there is a recipe for it, it is safe and thus can be drank, that’s all that matters.
The quantity of the group of ingredients can be adjusted according to taste, some persons tend to toss way more fruits in theirs, some would rather have more fruit punch than alcohol or the other way round while there are a few others who ditch the fruits altogether.
There are no rules for making this drink, no special skill as already mentioned and there exists also, some variations to it.
How Easy Is It To Prepare This Cocktail?
The trash can punch ingredients are all easily accessible except you were hoping to get a fruit that is currently out of season. If not, then everything is readily available.
The quantity of the ingredients to be used depends on the number of persons you are expecting for the party, you can always adjust the amount of these ingredients.
If you are not sure about the quantity of ingredients that will be enough for the party, do call a friend to help with the right amount. It will be really unfortunate if the drink is not enough to go round to everybody.
Note: The ingredients below are for trash can punch with everclear but if you want one without everclear because you’re not a fan of the drink or for any other reason, then you can always opt for its substitute. Great substitutes for everclear are tequila, gin, rum or triple sec.
For your basic trash can punch drink, you’ll need:
- 2 bottles of everclear drink or substitute.
- 2 bottles of 100 proof vodka.
- 4 litres of Hawaiian fruit punch.
- Oranges, either slice them into circular thin slices or you can cut them up like a quarter.
- Grapes, this will be added whole so do not slice.
- Apples, cut into small sizes.
- 1 big watermelon, cut into slices and remove the seeds.
- Ice – drinks are best served chilled, remember?
You would also need a new trash can since you obviously can’t use an old one. Wash the new trash can with soap and warm or hot water and leave to air-dry. Purchase a trash can that can adequately hold your trash can punch with vodka and everclear. If you absolutely do not want to use a trash can, you can use a cooler drink dispenser or any other type of large container.
Also in need is a long handled spoon such as a ladle. The ladle will help in stirring the ingredients together and also for serving the cocktail drink.
Serving cups. The quantity of cups needed depends on the number of guests. It’s better to have extra cups than to not have enough cups.
Toothpicks. The toothpicks are needed to prevent your guests from having a hard time when picking the fruits. Since the fruits are to be eaten, a toothpick will make them easier to pick up.
- You can substitute the 100 proof vodka with flavored vodka. Preferably with a fruity flavored vodka. Apple or orange flavors are okay.
- The Hawaiian fruit punch can be substituted with any other type of fruit punch.
- A bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey can be added to the punch.
- Use fruit juices like pineapple juice, apple juice, lime juice, pomegranate syrup, orange juice as substitutes for the fruit punch.
- Add 1 frozen can of minute maid limeade. This is totally optional.
- Use only fresh fruits. This will be easier if you go with fruits that are in season since they will definitely be freshier than fruits not in season.
- Wash all fruits thoroughly and do not peel the fruits. Small sized fruits like berries should be added whole after removing their stems but others like watermelon, can be diced, or sliced into sizes that can easily fit into your guest’s cup. Oh, don’t forget to remove the seeds.
Trash Can Punch Recipes – Nice and Easy
For a trash can punch without everclear, using rum is an excellent choice – your own trash can punch rum.
Before making this cocktail drink, don’t forget to transfer every ingredients to the party site. The trash can should be exactly where it should be if the party had started. Doing this will ensure that you don’t stress yourself by dragging around the non empty trash can. This recipe, if using the ingredients above will make a basic trash can punch.
To make, follow the steps:
- Get the trash can
- Pour in the everclear drink into the can, then add the vodka and Hawaiian fruit punch.
- Add the oranges, grapes, watermelon, strawberries and apples into the can. Then stir with the ladle.
- Add the ice to make the drink chilled. Keep some straws around too, some persons prefer to drink with a straw.
It is better to make the drink way ahead of when the party will start. This way, your drink will have enough time, at least 1 hour to get the alcohol and fruit punch mix to absorb the flavor of the fruits. The longer the time the punch is allowed to absorb the flavor of the fruits, the more flavorful the taste will be.
By the way, the ice should be added a few minutes to the start of the party. If you add the ice earlier than that, they stand the chance of melting faster. Ice will melt to become water and if the ice melts sooner than later, it will dilute the punch thus weakening the flavor of the punch. So keep the ice and add only when the party is about to begin.
Is Everclear Safe Enough To Be Consumed?
Maybe you’ve heard that everclear is not safe to be consumed and so you are worried. First, if it was not safe then it wouldn’t be up there in that recipe.
Everclear is probably one of the strongest drinks you will ever come across, a hangover from this drink should be on the list of things you should never ever experience. The drink is a colorless non flavored drink that’s made from grain hence it is also called grain alcohol.
The drink is not to be consumed raw as it is not an end product – even the label says so dilute first before consumption.
If you are planning to have a little taste of raw everclear, don’t. It isn’t safe. Before consuming, it has to be diluted. And that’s one more reason incorporating it into a cocktail drink is just perfect, that’s really the best and commonest way of consuming everclear.
However, if you got your mind made up on making a trash can punch without everclear, then use one of its substitutes. The drink has no flavor so all you would actually be missing is its intoxicating effect.
Yes, everclear is safe to consume only after it has been diluted in water or used in a recipe that will ultimately dilute it, that’s the simple answer to the question regarding the safety of this drink.
Are there other versions of this drink? Yes, there are.
- There’s the version that does not use vodka or any vodka alternative. It is just everclear, fruit punch
and sliced fruits with this variation.
- Another not so delighting type is the type that ditches the fruits. There are no fruits, it’s alcohol. No fruit juices either.
The mix-up contains malibu coconut rum, everclear, stolichnaya vodka, Bacardi 151 rum, apple schnapps, and Hawaiian punch. The drinks are mixed together and served chilled.
- And lastly, the St. Patrick’s day official drink – the green colored Irish trash can. While this drink is preferably served around or on St. Patrick’s day, there’s no need to wait for that day to get a glass of this drink.
The drink is made without everclear, it contains light rum, gin, vodka, Blue Curacao liqueur, triple sec and peach schnapps. Add ice in a Collins glass, fill with the liquors and then open a can of Red Bull and turned it upside down in the glass. The Red Bull drink will slowly empty its content as you drink.
Trash can punch drinks are definitely something to look forward to. If you have never had it at a party, then I wonder what kind of parties you’ve been going to. This drink is strong enough to get you high so be careful about the quantity you should drink.
Do not underestimate the intoxicating effect of this drink or any drink at that matter. It is the perfect drink for a hot summer night party. Remember, drink responsibly.