If you love the picture that comes to mind when you hear tropical, then you are going to love this drink – island green tropical smoothie.
If you already do love the drink, good for you, now it’s time to love the one you conjure up by yourself in your very own kitchen. The island green smoothie is where healthy meets delicious. It’s a good balance, the type your doctor and nutritionists wants you taking more of. And really, you are going to love this smoothie.
Tropical island green smoothie, tropical smoothie island green or just island green smoothie, it doesn’t matter. It’s all the same thing. But the actual name is just island green, the tropical smoothie acts as a prefix because the island green smoothie comes all the way from Tropical Smoothie Cafe and if the prefix is just tropical, that’s because it’s considered a tropical smoothie.
So don’t get lost in the names. Don’t.
And like many other smoothies, this smoothie is definitely too easy to make, it is also super quick and definitely one of the healthiest smoothie out there (it’s always been featured in the healthy smoothie list). It’s totally perfect as breakfast, as a snack or even as dessert.
With ingredients like frozen banana, frozen pineapple, spinach (you won’t even be able to taste this), coconut milk and a bunch of other yummy ingredients, this smoothie is about to become a member of your favorite smoothies list.
The smoothie, island green came all the way from Tropical Smoothie Cafe or commonly referred to as Tropical Smoothie is an American restaurant that offers smoothies, flat breads, bowls sandwiches, wraps and salads. They have been around for a long while now and in their many years of being around, the island green smoothie is considered as their number 1 smoothie.
No one walks into Tropical Smoothie Cafe and after ordering an island green drink walks away without falling in love with this drink. It’s almost impossible. So no worries that you won’t like this drink, you are going to love it, no doubt.
How To Make Island Green Smoothie
Though the Tropical Smoothie Cafe are widespread and have branches all over, it can get a little tiring having to leave the comforts of your home anytime you crave this smoothie. Or worse still, what if there’s no Tropical Smoothie Cafe around?
Definitely, you are not going to wait till you come by one.
Definitely not if you have copycat tropical smoothie cafe recipes like the one I will be sharing soon. With a copycat tropical smoothie cafe recipe in hand, you could whip up some tropical magic right there in your own kitchen using just a few ingredients that are present in your fridge and of course with a blender powerful enough to blend these ingredients together without having a meltdown.
If you plan to make your own smoothies, you are going to need a powerful blender, that is if you don’t have one already. A powerful smoothie blender like NutriBullet will serve you just well. It can blend frozen ingredients perfectly and that also includes ice without breaking down.
Having a good blender around is necessary if you want the consistency of your smoothie to be smooth enough. Other high-end blenders are Vitamix and Blendtec machines.
So how do you make this smoothie? Good question, I think I have kept you waiting enough. To make this smoothie drink, you will need the following island green smoothie ingredients:
- 1 frozen banana.
- Half a cup of frozen mango.
- Half a cup of frozen pineapple.
- 1 cup of spinach.
- 1 handful of kale leaves.
- 8 ounces of unsweetened coconut milk.
- Fresh juice of 1 lime for that zing!
Direction on how to make:
- Stuff the blender with the all the ingredients. Place the liquid ingredients first, that is the coconut milk and the juice of one lime. Then place the soft ingredients next, in this case that will be the kale leaves and spinach. And lastly, place the firm ingredients (the frozen ingredients) into the blender.
- Secure the lid of the blender well and turn on the blender. Blend for about 45 seconds to a minute or until the ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Then, turn the blended product into a smoothie cup and drink with a straw. Do not gulp down at once lest your brain freezes. Drink slowly and savour each sip. To make things even more interesting, you can picture yourself in a nice beach, that is if you are not there already.
This will only serve 1 person satisfiably or at most, two kids.
- You can fresh fruits. Raw and fresh produce are always the healthier option – the best option too. Fresh fruits are even sweeter. However, the only problem you will encounter while using fresh fruits is the consistency of the smoothie.
- But if you are using a very good blender, just blend a little more and you can throw in some ice cubes too. The ice cubes will work on the consistency of the smoothie and will also make it a bit chilled. You can also add the ice cubes after blending. Your choice.
- If you are going with fresh fruits, please pick healthy fresh fruits. Do not pick fruits that are already bad. Do not also pick overripe fruits. Pick the healthier options. Wash the fruits before stuffing them into the blender. Peel the fruits that needs peeling, for example the banana and pineapple. Chop the fruits into blending chunks, chunks that wouldn’t choke your blender.
If you so desire, you can use both fresh fruits and frozen fruits, that way your drink will still be chilled and there will be no need for the ice cubes.
And make sure the blender you are using can truly handle frozen things if you decide to use frozen fruits and cubes.
- Assuming your blender can’t handle frozen things well. You don’t have to settle for fresh fruits if you do no want them. All you need to do is to defrost the fruits for a little while. Simple, huh? Even the non powerful blenders can be put to great work.
- Coconut milk. The coconut milk makes the smoothie thick, really creamy and way more delicious than green smoothies usually are. However, you can also substitute it for almond milk which is creamier. But really, coconut milk gives this tropical feel and flavor that almond milk wouldn’t give you. It’s mind over matter (read: creamy). Mind over creamy.
You don’t want to use milk, doesn’t matter what kind of milk it is. Then there is also an alternative for you, use coconut water. Awesome, right? You not only retain the tropical feel and flavor, you get more nutrients. I could go on and on about the many useful properties of coconut water but nah, let’s not go down that road.
Optional tropical smoothie island green drink ingredients to try out:
- Honeydew melon. Some persons take out the frozen mango and substitute it with honeydew melon. Same quantity of mango that would have been used, is used when substituting with honeydew melon. So for the recipe above, half a cup of honeydew melon will do or you can add to taste.
Also, you don’t necessarily have to remove your mango, you can add your mango and honeydew melon. Just do well to significantly reduce the amount of honeydew melon.
- Strawberries. To enjoy strawberries in the Tropical Smoothie island green drink, there’s no need to take out anything. 1 cup of frozen strawberries to the recipe above would do this drink justice. Also, you can stick a berry onto the rim of the serving glass.
- Papaya. You can add papaya to this smoothie too and enjoy.
- Yoghurt. Not just any kind of yoghurt. Using high fat yoghurt will automatically shoot up the calories in this drink and considering the fact that this is a healthy drink, it deserves to remain the same no matter what you are adding. So use no fat or very low fat yoghurt like Greek yoghurt.
- Chia seeds. Yes, this smoothie is already healthy as it is but for more but nutrient boost, add some Chia seeds. Just a few, you will barely taste them however they would have added their magic to your homemade Tropical Smoothie Cafe island green drink.
- Smoothies generally look fancy when there’s something stuck on the glass rim. So feel free to use a slice of lime or lemon, a strawberry or any fruit of your choice.
- What else? Erm, anything you fell can go. However, I recommend you experiment with a little sample first just in case your little addition does not quite go well with the taste of this drink or agree with the digestive system. Oh, no added sugar. Keep this smoothie drink healthy.
Island Green Detox Smoothie
The island green detox smoothie is of course also from Tropical Smoothie Cafe. The detox version is a recent version of the island green and was introduced to increase the detoxifying effect of this smoothie. This version of the tropical smoothie island green has less calories and is healthier than the non-detox version.
What do you need to make the island green detox smoothie? Nothing much, you only need bananas, pineapple, mango, spinach, kale leaves, and ginger are the basic ingredients. Yup, our coconut milk is unavoidably absent but I’m sure you can sneak in a little quantity of it in there. You can also add chia seeds and a little quantity of fresh lime juice or lemon juice.
Then, blend everything together until smooth and enjoy.
This detox smoothie is also good for dieters. Swap this smoothie in exchange for that unhealthy smoothie you’ve been gulping down.
While smoothies are generally considered healthy, all fruits and veggie smoothies are thought of as the healthier choices. And our smoothie for today, island green smoothie falls right here under this category of healthier choices. You can just scroll up and check the ingredient list. Did that already, huh? There’s no unhealthy ingredient, right?
Frankly, the one ingredient there that might be slightly tainted with artificial sweeteners is the coconut milk. If you can not get unsweetened coconut milk or you do not trust the ones out there, you can always make yours.