Shit on a shingle (sos) recipe is one of those dishes that is not only very easy to make, but always reminds you of your childhood. We are sure that your parents used to prepare it when they were in a hurry and they needed something for dinner.
You will always remember the taste of salted, smoked, and dried beef. Even though it is said that “you eat with your eyes first”, this is definitely not the best-looking dish in the world. But, who needs a beautiful dish when it tastes so good?
What is more, you can let your imagination play a bit and re-invent this recipe by using sausages instead. This is a dish for the entire family. Even the pickiest members will find it delicious and ask you for more.
And if we add that the ingredients are not expensive at all, you will instantly add it on your top 10 favorite dishes.
Shit on a shingle is a military dish. Experts say that it first appeared in 1910 in the “Manual of Army Cooks”. The initial recipe had a sauce made of beef stock combined with milk. The military cook used roux to thicken the sauce and he seasoned everything with parsley and pepper.
The chopped beef was added in the end, right before serving, in order to preserve the saltiness and smoky taste. Since then, the recipe was transformed, and it got to the combination of ingredients we all know nowadays.
What you need to prepare an sos meal
You do not have to be an expert to prepare this recipe. The list of ingredients is quite simple and not expensive. Have a look on the steps below and get ready to prepare the most delicious poop on a shingle recipe:
- Number of servings: 4-6
- Preparation time: 5 -10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
List of ingredients:
Shit on a shingle
- 1 pound ground beef/chipped beef
- 1 diced, small yellow onion
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Toasted bread
- Fresh ground black pepper
You can season this dish with any spices you prefer. The original recipe keeps things very simple and uses only salt and pepper.
However, you can toy with ingredients and make this recipe one of your best comfort foods.
- You will need a 12-inch skillet for the above ingredients.
- Start by setting the skillet over medium heat and add the onion together with the ground beef.
- Add salt and pepper according to your taste. If you feel that you want to add a personal touch to this recipe, this is the moment when you can add other spices as well.
- Cook the beef until there is no pink and it gets a nice, brown color.
- Use a spatula to drain the meat and onion and set it aside.
- Now it is time to prepare the sauce!
- Use the same pan and add the butter in the remaining meat sauce. It is very important to keep a medium heat. Otherwise, the butter might burn and change the taste of your sauce.
- As soon as the butter is completely melted, you can slowly start sprinkling the flour. You should gently whisk the ingredients together until they form a creamy paste.
- Let the sauce simmer for about a minute. It is important to let the flour bubble a bit in order to prevent any digestive problems.
- The next step will be adding milk over the sauce. Whisk everything once again. You can stop when you obtain the desired consistency.
- Boil the mixture for a couple of minutes. Again, be patient and respect these boiling times if you do not want any stomach aches.
- Once the sauce is ready and as thick as you wanted it, you can add the beef and onion previously cooked.
- Taste it and add more salt and pepper if you think you did not add enough in the beginning.
- Serve it over toasted bread and enjoy a delicious comfort food.
Some of the newest recipes included an additional ingredient to the list: mushrooms. Feel free to try it and obtain your childhood taste.
One great idea would be to sprinkle some fresh onion and red pepper once the food is ready. This is how you will add some color and a fresh taste to this dish.