Lobster in a can is the perfect solution to give an extra luxurious touch to your quick meal!
Canned lobster has many advantages that you might not know about, but could make your cooking life easier and help you impress your friends! It’s extremely easy to store. You can keep it frozen for over 6 months, without losing its qualities and nutrients. And it can be found in many stores, including Walmart, for a relatively low price.
Canned lobster allows you to experiment with fancier recipes without the price tag of fresh lobster, and without having to sacrifice the quality or taste of the lobster. Moreover, lobster meat is an incredible source of nutrients such as zinc and copper and would be a great addition to your diet to promote general well-being.
If what has been stopping you is the availability, price tag, or difficulty of preparing fresh lobster, here comes a solution! Check out these facts and recipes to make the best of canned lobster in any of your meals!
Lobster in A Can
Nutrients and Calories
Lobster meat in a can is an excellent substitute for fresh lobster and can supply your daily intake of zinc and copper. In 180g of lobster in a can, there are only 40 calories. This makes it the perfect addition to a low calorie or healthy diet.
Moreover, this is an ideal ingredient for anybody following an eating plan that needs to be protein-heavy. If you are tired of boiled chicken breast, a cooked lobster meal, with its 9g of proteins, is just perfect to have a fancy yet healthy dinner!
Lobster is also rich in vitamin A, B6, calcium, and magnesium, which can boost your general well-being. If you are looking for food to help you focus or lower your blood pressure, search no further than lobster meat in a can. With its high levels of fatty acids and Omega-3, it is the perfect food for any diet.
Storing Lobster Meat
Canned lobster, as well as frozen lobster meat, is an excellent solution if you like to buy in bulk or once a week. As with other canned food, it can be stored and maintained for up to 6 months. It is still edible after that period, but will have lost some flavor or nutrients.
However, lobster meat in a can is easy for anybody to store and use when needed. Fresh lobster can be quite a commitment since you have to prepare it and make sure to eat it straight away. With canned food, you can buy large quantities of it when on sale and just cook your favorite recipes with it whenever you want.
The Price of Canned Lobster Meat
As for many other canned products, the price of canned lobster varies depending on the quality and quantity you are buying. The price of fresh lobster in America has been fluctuating over the past few years, going from $2.87 to $4.74 per pound. However, this does not take into consideration the preparation process that you will have to go through.
The fluctuations in the price of the fresh product are reflected in its canned versions. However, it is possible to buy lobster meat in a can online for $11 for 6.5oz from widely known websites such as Walmart’s.
The canned product is a cheap lobster alternative that can be used in recipes extremely quickly as it doesn’t need preparations or long cooking times. You can now eat this incredible food without a commitment to have to kill and prepare the lobster.
Canned Lobster Recipes
How to Use Lobster Meat
Known to improve mental and physical health, lobster is an excellent addition to anybody’s diet. It is perfect for diets as well as treats. However, it is famous for its high price, which makes it an unaffordable product for most people. Moreover, many customers aren’t happy about having to buy and prepare the lobster, a process that can take hours. All these factors make lobster reserved for special occasions.
However, with canned lobster, all of these issues can be avoided. It is perfect for adding to easy and quick meals such as salads. Also, canned lobster recipes are many, and you can adapt them to your taste. Through this cheap lobster alternative, you can experiment in cooking, try out different dishes, and use the lobster as your primary protein source.
Alternatively, if this is your cheat day, lobster meat can be used to create tasty patties for your healthy homemade burgers.
Here are two recipes that can be made quickly with canned lobster.
Lobster Mango Salad
It is the perfect dish for hot summer days. And it can be refreshing and enjoyed by the whole family as either a side dish or a main meal. It is a healthy and easy to make option that can be customized easily to your tastes.
- Canned lobster meat
- Green leaves (gem lettuce is preferred, but spinach or Romain are great too)
- 1 mango (peeled and cut)
- 1oz of red peppers (roasted or fresh)
- 2tbsp of chopped chives
- Olive oil, lemon, and salt
- Optional: capers and dill
- In a large bowl, mix the green leaves, capers, and mango. Season as you like. You can even add herbs such as rosemary to it.
- Roast the peppers and cut them into slices. Add them to the bowl while still warm.
- Open your lobster can and add it to the salad. If you prefer, you can pan fry the lobster meat lightly with lemon and olive oil.
- Mix everything in the large bowl and add the chives and dill.
- Your salad is ready to be served!
With only 260 calories per bowl, this canned lobster recipe is ideal for anybody on a healthy diet. It is incredibly easy to make and modify as you like. Additionally, by blending the capers, lemon juice, and dill, you can create a smooth dressing that you can serve on the side. However, take into consideration that lobster meat has a very soft taste, which shouldn’t be overpowered by adding too much seasoning and sauces.
Canned Lobster Chowder
Chowder is typically a thick soup made out of fish, clams, or corn and cooked with potatoes and onions. It is the perfect cooked lobster meal for winter nights or to regenerate your energies after a hard day at work. It comes with all the nutrients you need to help fight a cold or common flu during rainy days, and is ideal for warming up.
It takes slightly longer to cook, but if you are patient, you will be rewarded with an amazing and luxury meal! For this canned lobster recipe, it is recommended to use frozen lobster meat, but it is excellent with the canned product too.
- 10ox of frozen lobster meat or canned. (it is better to use the body and claw of the lobster)
- ½ cup of butter (unsalted is preferable to avoid overpowering the lobster flavor)
- ½ cup of flour
- 2 cups of potatoes (finely diced)
- Diced onions 1 cup
- Diced celery 1 cup
- Carrots (diced or sliced) 1 cup
- 1 cups chicken stock (seafood and vegetable stock are also great options to adapt the chowder to your taste)
- 2 cups of milk
- 1tsp of diced thyme (fresh is preferable)
- Seasonings (aside from salt and pepper, add the herbs you prefer)
- Start with soaking the lobster meat in the milk. It needs to be done first as this process takes time. Leave it on the side until you need it later.
- Use a medium saucepan to melt the butter. When almost golden, add the celery, along with the carrots and onions. Remember to dice all of these in advance.
- Saute the greens in the pan for a few minutes, then add the flour and stir all the ingredients together. When mixed, reduce the heat and leave it for a few minutes. Keep an eye out for it and avoid letting it go brown or burnt
- Remove the lobster from the milk
- Add the stock to the pan and stir until thoroughly mixed
- Now add the milk and stir until you are happy with the consistency of your chowder
- Add the potatoes to the soup and let it simmer until softened (30 mins)
- Lastly, add the seasonings and the lobster.
- After 7-10 minutes, your soup will be ready to serve and enjoy!
There are thousands of recipes that you can make with canned lobster! These are usually easy to make and perfect for any occasion. If you are cooking for a dinner party, you and your friends will be surprised by how luxurious your quick meal is!
Have you tried any of these recipes? What do you think of canned lobster? Let us know in the comments below!
I was wondering now i have the lobster, thawed and out of the can, how long can I refrigerate it for?