Cornbread crisps combine two of our favorite things: cornbread and crackers. They have the delicious taste of your favorite cornbread, but a crunch that makes them addictive and perfect for toppings.
If you are the type of person who doesn’t know what to bring to a potluck or you just want to create a snack for movie night that is a bit left of center, cornbread flavored crackers are a great option. Once you’ve made them a few times, they will become your easiest go-to recipe.
Now, don’t be afraid: cornbread recipes can be tough to perfect. However, homemade cornbread crackers aren’t like that. Since they are so thin and precise, you don’t have to worry about burning the ends while getting a middle that isn’t cooked properly.
The Best Cornbread Crackers Recipe
Cornbread crackers are pure heaven in your mouth. They have the texture of a firm shortbread cookie, the crunchy edges of a skillet cornbread, and are as easy to make as your favorite box mix (without being from a box). You can scale and change this recipe to include some of your favorite fillings or just keep it as is for a delicious treat that will keep everyone happy.
Authentic Cornbread Crackers
Servings: About 36
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 tablespoons orange blossom honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (the fresher, the better)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry powdered milk
- Preheat your over to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper – do not allow any section to go uncovered.
- In a large bowl, beat your softened butter at medium speed for about a minute or until it is creamy. Add the honey, salt, and pepper. Continue beating until they are combined – be careful not to overbeat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, and powdered milk.
- Using your mixer on a low speed, add the dry cornmeal mixture to the butter mixture and keep beating for about 2 minutes or until large clumps form.
- Lightly flour your counter and dump out the dough. Knead until it is no longer crumbly. Be careful not to be too rough.
- Between 2 sheets of parchment, roll the dough until it is about ⅛ inch thick.
- Use a pastry wheel to cut the dough to the size of your crackers. To get 36 servings, cut the dough into 1.5-inch squares. Using a fork, add three rows of pricks to the center of the cracker.
- Place the crackers about 1-inch apart on the prepared pan.
- Bake until they are lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
- Allow the crackers to cool completely on the pan.
You can serve these crackers with just about anything you can imagine – honey butter, pimento cheese, pickles, or anything that tickles your fancy. They will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
A Spicy Cornbread Crackers Recipe
Do you like your cornbread with a little bit of spice? Many people do, which is why spicy cornbread cracker recipes have become so popular. We’ve worked through a few of them, some too spicy, some too bland, and were able to find the perfect balance of spicy, sweet, and savory.
Spicy Cornbread Crackers
Servings: About 48
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour (you can also use all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon good quality salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 7 tablespoons slightly softened butter
- 5 ounces shredded Cabot Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed and pureed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Make sure they are completely covered.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and smoked paprika in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Chop your butter into small pieces and toss them with flour.
- Sprinkle the cheese into that mixture and mix together. Keep your mixer going for about 3 minutes or until the dough looks sandy.
- Add the corn and egg into the dough and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Press the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in your freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Unwrap your dough and place it on a lightly floured surface.
- Break the ball into quarters and roll them out into lawyers that are 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut your crackers with a pastry wheel and plac
- e them on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat until you’ve used all of the dough.
- Bake the crackers for 12 minutes or until they are light golden brown. Cool on a baking rack.
With the addition of the spice, these crackers will only last a week or so in a tightly covered container.
How To Serve Cornbread Crackers
Let’s be honest: most of us will eat cornbread crackers as soon as they cool, right from the parchment. They are that delicious. However, if you are looking for ways to serve them, you won’t run out of options. They make a great addition to any charcuterie or cheese board, they’re perfect for dipping into sweet or savory dips, or you can even sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat.
You can get pretty creative with these crackers. Consider using a cookie cutter or some other cutter to create fun shapes for your crackers. Cut them into triangles for a different look for your crackers. There are just so many possibilities that will make these recipes your own.
If you do decide to use a cookie-cutter in a strange shape, make sure to pay attention to the baking times and take them out of the oven when they are just turning a golden brown.