I still remember the time I first enjoyed the Dallas BBQ sticky wings out in a restaurant.
Best ways to thicken
Grab these compiled tricks to get that desired sauce consistency, not just for your pasta, but also for your dessert and get a bonus content that you will surely love!
There was an instant blast of flavor in the mouth, each bite was equally juicy and the succulent spices were deeply absorbed into the meat. It was not just delicious, it was finger-licking delicious!
Since then I constantly crave those sticky chicken wings and to give you a taste I bring you one of the easiest Dallas BBQ recipes around so that you won’t have to wonder how to find the perfect recipe.
The recipe I am about to share today is somewhat a mixture of a traditional Dallas wings recipe and some of my own creativity. I originally started with a different combination of spices, but eventually I ended up using one particular set of spices.
And that’s the beauty of these honey basted sticky wings; you can recreate the recipe in any style by keeping a consistent proportion of sweetness and spice.
The making of these wings requires five easy steps and some special Dallas BBQ sticky wings ingredients, which I will be sharing here shortly.
I suggest you read on, as this article will also unravel how and why the particular spices are used to season these wings. Each of the ingredients is essential in infusing the classic Dallas flavor and you wouldn’t want to miss that.
So here comes the recipe! Are you ready to dive deeper into the world of saucy BBQ flavors?
What You Need For the Best Tasting Dallas Chicken Wings
Among the various ways to amp up the taste, the selection of the right kind of spices and a well-proportioned blend is crucial. So before we get to the actual making of the wings, let share some related facts about the ingredients used in the Dallas BBQ wings recipe.
- Cayenne Pepper: That kick of these chicken wings comes from the cayenne pepper. I like my chicken wings to taste a bit tangy, which is why I always add the cayenne pepper to the recipe.
It can either be added to the glaze or rubbed over the wings before coating. By adding the pepper to the glaze, the flavor of the pepper is better infused into the wings and tastes fresher.
- Lemon: Here is another optional ingredient to enhance the flavors of the wings up many times over. Lemon or lime juice is not a basic recipe ingredient, but it is a great way to add a peculiar sting to the Dallas wings. A light drizzle over the glazed wings is enough to give it a refreshing twist. The juice can also be added to the glaze itself while it is cooked on low heat.
- Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are a sure-fire way to infuse taste and increase the nutritional value of a recipe. For these wings especially, sesame seeds complement the strong barbecue flavor.
Toasted or fresh sesame seeds are a great way to garnish the wings just before serving. These are not essential, so it is up to your personal preference. You can create a new variety just by adding some sesame seeds to the glaze.
These wings are made out of two mixtures. First the dry spice, flour coating, and the egg wash and then comes the glaze which is brushed or coated on after the wings are cooked. Keep in mind that the ingredients shared here are used to make 3 lbs. of chicken wings. Let’s start this by discussing the chicken wings rub:
- Flour: For 3 lbs. of chicken wings about 2 cups of flour are needed for a generous coat. Plain flour is not coated but rather mixed in with the spices or seasonings to infuse the basic taste. Flour gives a crispy texture to the wings. To prepare the flour mixture, make sure to pass it through a sieve to get rid of all the excess lumps.
- Ginger: We use ginger powder to season the flour mixture. For the given amount of flour, about 3 tablespoons of ginger powder are enough to get the desired results. Ginger powder has a very distinct taste which can not be replaced with any other spice. Ginger powder is easily available in every grocery store, just make sure to add it to your list.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper seasoning is my personal favorite of the recipe. This pepper has a mild yet peculiar and invigorating flavor. Freshly ground black pepper tastes amazing when it is added to the flour mixture. There is no definite proportion of black pepper to add to the flour, just add as per your preference.
- Egg Wash: Once the chicken wings are coated with the flour mixture, they are dipped in the egg wash. An egg wash is prepared by mixing 2 whole eggs with 4 tablespoons of water. This mixture is enough to coat the number of wings we are making in this recipe. Just whisk the egg with water well until they are both completely incorporated into one another.
Once the flour mixture is prepared, half of your work is done. The other half is the making of the barbecue glaze, the specialty of Dallas chicken wings. This glaze makes the wings sticky, sweet and tangy. The following are ingredients required to prepare the glaze.
- Garlic: Dallas chicken wings are famous for their distinct garlic taste, and that garlicky aroma is also a tell-tale sign of nicely cooked Dallas wings. Garlic is mainly added to the glaze or the sauce of these wings. The garlic is chopped and then sautéd before other ingredients are added.
Another way to infuse better garlicky flavor is to roast the cloves in the oven and then add them to the glaze. Use 3 garlic cloves and finely mince them.
- Cooking Oil: Oil binds all the ingredients of the glaze together and gives it a nice glossy finish. About one tablespoon of oil is enough to make the glaze for 3 lbs. of chicken wings. Sauté garlic in this oil before adding other ingredients.
- Honey: Honey is the main ingredient of this recipe. It gives the sticky name to the wings and adds a mild sweetness which has made these wings more popular. A cup of honey is enough to add to the glaze for 3 lbs. of chicken. Choose organic and pure honey for the recipe as it is free from artificial sweeteners.
- BBQ Sauce: For one cup of honey, about half a cup of barbecue sauce is required to prepare the glaze. The ratio of honey to BBQ sauce is 2:1. Keep this ratio in mind for the recipe and adjust it according to the amount of the chicken wings you want to cook for the table.
How to Make Dallas BBQ Sticky Wings in 5 Easy Steps
Step 1: Prepare the Flour Mix
Wings are first coated in a flour mixture. So that’s where we start our recipe. The mixture needs flour, salt, pepper, and ginger powder. Mix all these ingredients in a bowl. Make sure that all the ingredients are equally dispersed and evenly mixed to infuse the flavors evenly.
Add salt and black pepper as per your preference. I keep the salt to a minimum to ensure a low sodium outcome. But again, it is completely up to you. When the wings are coated with flour mixture and then cooked, they turn out far crispier. So, it is not only good for the taste but also the texture.
Step 2: Ready the Wings
Once the flour mixture is ready, its time to prepare the chicken wings for cooking. It doesn’t take much to prepare the wings. First, cut the chicken wings into half if you want. This also depends on your personal preference. Many people, including me, like to enjoy the whole wing.
So, personally, I don’t usually cut them into halves. Then comes the cleaning of the wings. Simply wash them under clean water and pat them dry using a paper towel.
The fried chicken wings are now ready to be coated with the seasoned flour mixture. Spread the dry mix in a shallow dish or plate and place the wings in it one by one while dredging them through the mixture to coat well. Shake off the excess.
Keep the dipped wings aside. Whisk eggs in another bowl and dip the coated wings in the egg wash and then again coat them with the flour mixture. This double layer of flour coating gives the wings a nice crunch and volume. The thicker the coating is, the tastier the wings are after they are cooked.
Step 3: Cook the Wings
The cooking is the fun part, as you can sit back and relax until the oven timer stops. There are several ways to cook these wings. You can air fry, deep fry, grill or bake them in the oven. I personally use the baking method. For that, you need to grease a baking tray with some vegetable oil and place the wings on the tray.
Bake them for 20 minutes at 350 degrees until they are golden brown. For even color, flip the wings after 10 minutes of baking. Remember the cooking time and temperature, as these wings require such a condition to be cooked well, no matter what other methods you use.
Step 4: Prepare the Glaze
What makes the Dallas BBQ chicken wings different from the rest is the sticky glaze on top. That glaze is what needs to be prepared next. Start by sautéing garlic in a saucepan for 30 seconds.
Once the garlic is golden brown, add barbecue sauce and honey along with salt and pepper for the seasoning. Mix all these ingredients well and let them simmer on low heat until it starts to slightly thicken.
Step 5: Glaze the Wings and Serve
When the chicken is cooked or baked, coat it with the prepared honey glaze. Add the prepared glaze in a shallow bowl and top your crispy chicken wings with it. Use your hands or a spatula to toss the wings in the glaze until all of them are coated well. The better the glaze coating, the better these wings will taste, so make sure to mix thoroughly yet gently.
Serve these glazed wings with your favorite sauce or dip. I usually like a yogurt dip to balance out the sharp and tangy taste of the wings. Simply whisk yogurt with mint leaves and season it with salt and pepper. This is refreshing to the core.
Another good option is to use some sweet and savory sauce with these wings. I personally serve them as a side dish, with vegetable entrees. This way all necessary macronutrients are represented on the platter in recommended proportion. Fresh vegetable salad is also great to complement the wings.
Dallas special BBQ sticky wings are a delightful treat for all. Unlike other chicken wings, they have a lot more to offer in terms of taste, stickiness and crispy texture. The taste is a healthy mix of sweet and spicy which is rare to find in chicken wings. The ease of making these wings have made it my first choice for every dinner or party menu.
They can be served both as snacks or as appetizers. For best taste, the wings always have to be served fresh. What I usually do is have the ingredients ready beforehand, with the glaze ready and the wings baked. Just minutes before serving I toss them together. This way, the wing’s fine crispy texture remains intact and outer glaze looks fresh and radiant when served.
Share this fine culinary experience with your family and keep us posted with more interesting facts about Dallas sticky wings through your feedback.