Want something that is delicious and a little naughty like Nipples of Venus (Capezzoli di Venere)? You don’t have to substitute anything else, as these treats are very easy to make. They only require a few different ingredients and a little bit of time to get a treat that everyone will remember.
I keep these babies in my back pocket for many different kinds of events. They are pretty versatile and almost everyone likes them. You can take away the dots on top and they are a little more appropriate. Sometimes I will add even more dots to just make them look like a Kate Spade-approved dessert. Whatever you do, it is really all about the taste.
Easy Nipples of Venus (Capezzoli di Venere) Recipe
If you’ve ever seen the movie Amadeus, you will remember the scene where Salieri offers this treat to Mozart’s wife. It is one of the most prolific moments of the movie for anyone who has seen it, and now you can enjoy it yourself.
Make a huge batch of these for your next party and see how quickly they go-and how everyone takes many, many photos of them.
- ⅓ Cup White Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter At Room Temperature
- 6 Ounces Dark Chocolate, Chopped Into Pieces
- 14 Ounces Whole Chestnuts
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract (Good Quality)
- ¼ Cup Brandy Of Choice
- 8 Ounces White Chocolate, Chopped
- ⅓ Cup Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Milk, Or More As Needed
- Paper Candy Cups (Or Whatever You Will Use To Serve)
- 1 Drop Red Food Coloring, Or More As Needed
- Cream the sugar and the butter together with a spatula until it is creamy and light. You must do this by hand to get the right consistency. Set aside.
- Heat an inch or so of water in a pot over low heat. Melt the dark chocolate in a heat-proof bowl placed over the pot. You can use a double boiler if you have one. Stir it with a small spatula for the best results.
- Put your chestnuts into a food processor and pulse until they are finely ground. Do not try to do this without pulsing or you may overheat your processor.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, vanilla extract, and brandy into the nuts and stir well.
- Pour in the melted chocolate (you will have to act quickly) and mix again until everything is well blended.
- Spoon out the filling onto a silicone-lined baking sheet. Smooth out the balls, if necessary. Cover the balls in plastic wrap and refrigerate. They do need to be chilled for the recipe to work properly.
- Break the white chocolate into 80% and 20% sections. Set aside the 20% group for later use. Melt the rest in a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Using an instant-read thermometer, heat until the chocolate reads 105 degrees.
- Add the reserved white chocolate and stir together until everything is melted to an even consistency.
- Place 1 of the rolled balls on a form and hold it over the bowl of white chocolate coating. Spoon the white chocolate over the ball until it is well coated. Use another fork to push the truffle onto a lined baking sheet. Try to arrange the balls so that they are even.
- Repeat with remaining truffles and coating. If the coating starts to get hard, you may need to put it back over the hot water.
- Mix in the confectioners’ sugar. Use only enough milk to make a thick paste that will hold together. If you use too much, add in more sugar.
- Dye the mixture pink with your red food coloring.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and pipe a small dot on the top of each truffle.
- Serve in paper candy cups.
Tips & Tricks
I like to use these at special events, bachelorette parties, and anywhere where people want to eat something that is just a bit decadent and naughty. They are really easy to make and store, so you can make them a few days ahead of time.
If you love the taste of Capezzoli di Venere but don’t really want that look, you can always change up the colors. White chocolate is really easy to dye using food coloring. You can also just skip the dot on the top, as that is what really sells the whole vibe.
One word of caution about the food dye is this: do not use a water-based or paste food coloring. This is generally a good idea in all cooking, but it is particularly a good tip here. If you want to color your icing or even your chocolate, buy a powdered food coloring at a specialty bakery shop or cake decorating supply store. You can even get them pretty easily online if you have the time. Unfortunately, a water-based dye will make your chocolate feel grainy, which no one likes.
If you find that the filling is too thick, you can try to add some brandy to the mixture. This will change the taste a little bit, but who doesn’t love brandy?
Many people will say that the filling is too thin for them to work with, so I like to put mine into the freezer after I make the balls instead of putting them into the refrigerator. Still, I’ve also had people complain that they are too cold to handle then. You will just have to see what your preference is.
How To Travel With Nipples Of Venus
If you want to travel with your Nipples Of Venus, you might be hesitant. After all, the chocolate coating is a bit difficult to keep cold enough so that it doesn’t start to melt. The best thing you can do is put them into devilled egg containers. This will keep them somewhat separated and protected. I like to throw a few ice packs into the container, just to keep them cold.
If you can keep them in a cooler or a refrigerator until they are ready to be served, that would be your best bet. This will keep them at the optimal temperature and ready for serving.
Are There Other Nipples Of Venus Flavors?
Sometimes people are a bit shocked when they see the ingredients that go into Nipples of Venus because they swear it tasted different. You are probably thinking of a truffle. The good news is that you can really turn any truffle into the same look of a Capezzoli di Venere.
Most truffles can be shaped into circles and given just a little dot on the top. It’s that simple! However, this is the most authentic recipe.
If you are looking for something that is easier, there are tons of recipes where you just have to mash up some chocolate sandwich cookies and use chocolate that way. If you are going to have an event, you can make different types and serve them all: you can get creative on how to separate them out.