Succulent egg roast enveloped skillfully in a crunchy, crispy puff pastry gives way to the most popular snack of South India: egg puffs. It is not uncommon to spot freshly baked egg puffs at every other bakery in this part of the country.
As an egg lover, you would have tasted this delicious snack bought from your nearby bakery. But if you want to enjoy equally tasty homemade egg puffs, served hot from your kitchen, you can use this fantastic egg puffs recipe rounded up here.
Homemade egg puffs made from a buttery puff pastry taste delicious and give you an absolutely crunchy snack. And in case your friends and family come over for a chit-chat, the snack goes well with hot tea.
Easy to Follow Recipe
– Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
– Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
– Total Time: 45 Minutes
– Serves: 6 Puffs
For Grounded Paste
· Chopped Garlic: 2 Cloves
· Chopped Ginger: 1 Inch
· Cardamom: 2
· Cloves: 2
· Green Chili: 1 or 2, as per your taste
For Preparing Egg Roast
· Boiled Eggs: 3, Number of eggs also depends on how many puffs you want to make.
· Thinly Sliced Onion: 2
· Chili Powder: 3/4 Tsp.
· Oil: 1 Tbsp.
· Coriander Powder: 1.1/2 Tsp.
· Fennel Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
· Chopped Cilantro: Handfuls of It.
· Salt: As per your taste.
For Puff Pastry
· Whole Wheat Flour: 1 Cup
· All Purpose Flour: ¼ Cup
· Sugar: 1 Tsp.
· Oil: 3 Tbsp.
· Salt to Taste.
· Water as Required.
For Egg Wash
· Beaten Egg: 1
· Water: 2 Tbsp.
Part 1: Making Buttery Puff Pastry
Though it is easy to prepare puff pastry at home, you can also buy readymade puff pastry from the market to cut down on time required to make this recipe.
· Take a big bowl and mix wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt and sugar properly. Add oil to the well-mixed dry ingredients and make it like crumbs with your fingers.
Now add water and knead it to the dough. Use the plastic sheet to wrap the dough and keep it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
· Take dough from the fridge and divide it into five balls. Roll each ball into a rough square shape and set aside for a minute.
Now spread oil on each rolled roti and place one roti above another for all five roti. Use a rolling pin and roll the layered sheets into a thin sheet.
· Again cut the sheet in half, place one sheet over another and roll to a thin sheet, repeat the same process thrice and then cut the thin sheet into six pieces. Now keep these sheets in the fridge until the filling is prepared.
Part 2: Preparing the Yummy Egg Puffs
· Pre-heat the oven to 220˚C.
· Cook whole eggs in boiling water for 15 minutes. When eggs are done, remove from water and peel off the shell when they cool down.
· For preparing the filling, take a pan and heat oil in it. Add onions and a few pinches of salt and sauté until translucent. Now add grounded paste to the onions and sauté well.
· When onions caramelize, add chili, fennel and coriander powders in the mix. Cook this well-combined mix for a minute.
· Add boiled eggs to the mix and cook covered for a few minutes and add cilantro when done.
· Your egg roast is prepared. Keep aside and let it cool down. Cut the eggs into halves using a sharp knife and put them back in the mixture.
· Take out your pastry sheets from the fridge and start filling them.
· Place some mixture and a halved egg on each square pastry piece. Fold one corner of the sheet to the center on top of the egg and repeat this for all the four corners. Brush egg wash on each parcel.
· Place your egg puffs on a baking sheet and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
Your steaming yummy puffs are ready to serve!
Trackback from your site.