Did you ever think of frying chicken without flour? Fried chicken tossed in flour is an American staple, but countries around the world have various ways of frying chicken. Most of which do not involve battering the chicken with flour.
Fried chicken made without flour is an extremely enticing idea. There are plenty of recipes available on the internet, some of which are intriguing and exotic. The chicken is unique and delicious! It’s worth a try to make fried chicken without flour at least once.
You can cook delicious, flavorful, fried chicken in as little as thirty minutes. In the era of the air fryer, it would surprise some to know that there are multiple ways to fry chicken. You can make oven fried chicken, pan fried chicken, or deep-fried chicken. Regardless of how you choose to cook your fried chicken, you should consider frying chicken without flour.
How to Fry Chicken Without Flour? – Technique Revealed!
Fried chicken without flour can be made in many ways. You don’t necessarily need anything in place of the flour, but it helps with the texture and flavoring if you do. Frying without flour can be done with the following tips.
- Dry Rub– You can use your favorite spices or a special seasoning as a dry rub on your chicken. Use salt and a small amount of oil to hold the dry rub in place. This is a great option if you’re making pan fried chicken without flour.
- Marinate– Another great option, just give yourself time to let the chicken marinate. After a few hours, just take the chicken out of the fridge and pat the marinade dry. This would be useful when making pan fried chicken without flour.
- Cornstarch– Make delicious deep-fried chicken without flour by using a cornstarch substitute in place of flour. Just coat the chicken and fry it up!
- Breading– Another great option for making deep fried chicken without flour. You can use a variety of different breadings to coat your chicken. This will work for chicken thighs, legs, and breasts.
Why Make Fried Chicken Without Flour?
There are multiple reasons people would make fried chicken without flour. A few of the best reasons are listed below.
- Reduce the Amount of Oil– When you make no flour fried chicken, you still use oil to fry it. However, the flour based breading soaks in a large amount of oil. You can reduce the amount of oil used to fry the chicken and reduce the amount of oil you consume.
- Eliminate the Gluten– This is a common reason to substitute out the flour used for frying chicken. By eliminating flour and using spices or marinade, you can make gluten free fried chicken.
- Infuse the Chicken with Flavor– No flour fried chicken can be packed with flavor. Using a tasty marinade or spicy dry rub instead of flour can drastically increase the amount of flavor packed into each bite.
- Reduce the Carbohydrates– It is possible to cut down on carbohydrates by eliminating the use of flour. For the most drastic cut on carbs, use a dry rub or marinade.
- Add Some Variety– It has been said that variety is the spice of life, but this is especially true when it comes to cooking chicken. When you opt out of frying chicken with flour, you open up a world of chicken flavor possibilities. Personalize the chicken recipe to suit you or your family’s taste buds.
Spicy Fried Chicken- Without Flour
This fried chicken recipe without flour is to die for! The chicken tastes incredibly delicious and the aroma is mouthwatering. I had never thought to make fried chicken without flour until I discovered this recipe, but I’m so grateful I did. After making this chicken, I realized that I needed to share the recipe with all of you. You will love this spicy twist on fried chicken.
For this spicy fried chicken recipe without flower you will need the following ten ingredients. Use light vegetable oil to reduce fat in the recipe.
- 2 pounds of chicken drumsticks
- 1- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1- 2 teaspoons of minced onion
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of seasoning mix
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups of oil
You will use these ten ingredients to make the best no flour fried chicken, you will ever have in your entire life.
- Allow the chicken to thaw, then place in a bowl.
- Beat the egg in a small separate bowl.
- Sift together the garlic, onion, black pepper, salt, seasoning mix, and cornstarch. Then combine with the egg and oyster sauce.
- Use a large pot to warm the oil. Warm the oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated, slowly add the chicken to the oil. The chicken should be entirely covered by the oil. Boil the chicken over low heat until the skin is light brown, or for about fifteen minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside on a paper towel. This will remove the excess oil from the chicken.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all of the chicken is cooked.
Naked Fried Chicken- Free of Flour
Another great fried chicken recipe without flour. This chicken is described as naked because there is no coating. The crisp is all in the skin and it’s covered in seasoning. This delicious recipe takes about an hour to prepare and cook, but the recipe is keto-friendly. The chicken is light and healthy. I love the recipe and hope you will too.
You will need these ingredients to make naked fried chicken.
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon of cayenne
- About 3 pounds of bone-in chicken
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 2 quarts of frying oil
These eight ingredients will create an amazing batch of fried chicken. You could substitute light olive oil to maximize your health benefits. Follow these steps to make this naked fried chicken recipe.
- Combine paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Prepare your baking sheet by placing a baking rackover top.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Place half of the chicken inside of a Ziplock bag, along with a tablespoon of baking powder. Shake vigorously.
- Repeat step five with the remaining chicken and baking powder.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet and bake chicken for twenty-five minutes. Increase the heat to 425 then bake for an additional twenty minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot until it reaches a temperature of 350 degrees. Then place chicken in the oil for five to seven minutes.
- Sprinkle mixture over the chicken and place chicken on a paper towel.
Jamaican Style Fried Chicken- No Flour Needed
This exotic fried chicken without flour recipe is one of a kind. The touch of chili powder adds foreign flavors and really sets this chicken apart from the rest. The recipe can be made in less than thirty minutes!
Use these seven ingredients to make this Jamaican Style Fried Chicken in just a few simple steps. Use whatever kind of chicken meat you prefer. The recipe works with light vegetable oil too.
- 2 pounds of chicken
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of chicken seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
With just seven incredibly flavorful ingredients you can have delicious Jamaican chicken right there in your very own kitchen. Use these ingredients to follow the following steps and cook amazing fried chicken without flour.
- Mix the salt, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and chicken seasoning in a small bowl.
- Cover the chicken in the seasoning mix and let sit for a few minutes.
- Pour oil in a skillet and heat on a low heat.
- Place the chicken in the heated oil and fry for eight minutes.
- Flip chicken and fry for an additional eight minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on a paper towel to dry.
- Repeat steps four through six until all of the chicken is cooked.
Conclusion: Give It A Try
The final step- Enjoy your delicious Fried Chicken Without Flour. It is a great alternative to traditional fried chicken. Pair these chicken recipes with other family favorites like corn on the cob, garlic mashed potatoes, and homemade biscuits. Enjoy an ice-cold glass of sweet tea or lemonade with a delicious meal at your next Sunday evening, family dinner.