Gordon Ramsay fish and chips are nearly the perfect traditional English fish and chips. The fish is made with a beer batter that creates a crispy and delicious exterior, while the inside of the fish is flaky and delicate. One of the aspects of this dish that make it different from the rest of the fish and chip recipes that you will find is the addition of the mushy peas.
To create this Gordon Ramsay fish and chips recipe and have the same experience that you would have at one of his restaurants, you’ll need to recreate all of the components, including the mushy peas.
Beer Battered Fish by Gordon Ramsay
The mushy peas, beer battered cod, and crisp chips are a great combination to try together, but how do you make each part of this meal? To start, cut the potatoes into wedge-sized slices that will crisp easily in a deep fryer. The fish is also deep-fried, but the batter is the most important part of this recipe. To create it, you will need:
Gordon Ramsey Fish and Chips recipe
- ½ cup Flour
- 2/3 cup Rice flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ cup Soda water
- ¾ cup Lager
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Start by mixing the flour, the rice flour, the baking soda, the salt, and the sugar in a bowl. Then, add in the soda water and the lager. Mix the ingredients until they are well blended, but be careful not to over mix the batter because a heavy batter will be noticeable on your fish.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil, and then sauté the potatoes in the pan over medium-high heat for about five minutes. When the potatoes are cooked enough, they will be a beautiful golden brown color. Add about half of the parsley and garlic mixture to the pan as well as a pinch of sea salt. Continue to cook the potatoes for about two more minutes. Make sure to stir the potatoes continuously so that they do not stick. Then, add the butter and the remaining parsley and garlic mixture.
- Zest a bit of lemon over the potatoes and allow it to flavor the potatoes for about a minute. Remove the potatoes from the heat, season with more sea salt if desired, stir in the seasoning, and enjoy.
Start by mixing the flour, the rice flour, the baking soda, the salt, and the sugar in a bowl. Then, add in the soda water and the lager. Mix the ingredients until they are well blended, but be careful not to over mix the batter because a heavy batter will be noticeable on your fish.
Coat the fish in flour, I prefer to use cod for this recipe, but if you want to try another type of fish, feel free. Then, coat the fish in the batter. Set the battered fish aside and heat the vegetable oil in your deep fryer to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and when the oil is heated, cook the fish for about 10 minutes or until the outside is a beautiful golden brown.
The final part of this dish is the mushy peas.
This is made with peas, butter, and salt. Simply boil water adding salt to the water to flavor the peas, and then melt about ½ of a cup of butter in the water. Add two cups of peas and allow the peas to continue to cook until they boil again. When they are cooked, place the peas and a little bit of the cooking liquid into a food processor and pulse it until it is the consistency that you’d like the peas to be. If you want a softer consistency, add more of the cooking liquid.
Creating Crispy Fish Batter
The perfect fish and chips can only be attained when the batter is just right. I have found that thicker batter can make your fish soggy when it fries because the oil needs to penetrate through the batter to cook the fish, so I tend to make a batter that is slightly thinner in consistency than pancake batter.
You also want to make sure that your oil is properly heated so that the oil is not absorbed. This will also make your fish soggy because of the excess oil. The key is to have a light batter, which is why I tend to prefer using half all purpose flour and half rice flour for my batter.
Other Beer Battered Fish Sides
When you enjoy deep fried fish, you may not always want to have chips or French fries as a side. This is the traditional side for beer battered fish, but sometimes I like to ride off of the rails and make an entirely new dish. Some of the sides that I frequently make with fried cod include:
Double Cooked Potatoes
Sometimes, I want to enjoy the taste of potatoes with my fish, but I want something a little more complex than fries. This recipe is perfect for when I want a little more substance to my meal. To make these potatoes, you will need:
- Three pounds of peeled baby potatoes (Yukon Gold potatoes are virtually the perfect size for this recipe)
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 of a cup of minced parsley
- Two cloves of minced garlic
- 1/3 of a cup of olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Two tablespoons of butter
- A lemon
Start by peeling and boiling the potatoes in a pot of water that has been generously salted. I find that when you have the heat set to medium-high, it takes about 20 to 25 minutes for the potatoes to become tender when they are poked with a fork. While the potatoes are boiling, you can grab a small bowl and mix together the parsley and the garlic. If you do not feel like mincing the garlic, you can use about a tablespoon of pre-minced garlic that you can purchase at the store. Set the mixture aside. When the potatoes are fully cooked, transfer them to a baking sheet.
In a large pan, heat the olive oil, and then sauté the potatoes in the pan over medium-high heat for about five minutes. When the potatoes are cooked enough, they will be a beautiful golden brown color. Add about half of the parsley and garlic mixture to the pan as well as a pinch of sea salt. Continue to cook the potatoes for about two more minutes. Make sure to stir the potatoes continuously so that they do not stick. Then, add the butter and the remaining parsley and garlic mixture.
Zest a bit of lemon over the potatoes and allow it to flavor the potatoes for about a minute. Remove the potatoes from the heat, season with more sea salt if desired, stir in the seasoning, and enjoy.
Fried Rice with Mustard Greens and Pickled Carrots
This fried rice recipe is another great recipe to try with fried fish; to make it, you will need:
- One bunch of thinly sliced scallions
- Two tablespoons of minced ginger
- Five cloves of minced garlic
- One small minced serrano pepper
- Three tablespoons of soy sauce
- Two tablespoons of lime juice
- One tablespoon of Sriracha or another chili sauce that you enjoy
- Five tablespoons of peanut oil
- Two cups of broccoli florets cut in half
- ½ of a cup of thinly sliced celery
- ½ of a cup of pickled carrots (This recipe is included below)
- One bunch of roughly chopped mustard greens
- Five large beaten eggs
- Five cups of cooked rice (this recipe will turn out best if the rice is chilled before it is fried)
Mix the scallions, the garlic, the ginger, and the pepper together in one bowl. In another combine the soy sauce, the lime juice, and the chili sauce.
Heat the one tablespoon of oil in a wok; stir-fry the broccoli, the carrots, and the celery. When they are tender, toss in about 1/3 of the scallion mixture and continue to cook for another three minutes. Set the mixture aside, and using the same wok, heat another tablespoon of oil. Sauté the mustard greens, 1/3 of the scallion mixture, and 1/3 of the soy sauce mixture. When the greens begin to wilt, transfer them to a baking sheet to cool.
This should only take about two minutes.
Add a tablespoon of oil to the wok once more, and then quickly swirl the eggs around the pan so that they create a thin layer. It should only take a minute or two for the eggs to cook. Set the eggs aside. Add the remaining two tablespoons of oil to the wok, and stir-fry the rice with the remaining soy sauce and scallion mixture.
Break up the rice as much as possible so that it cooks evenly. The rice will begin to crisp after about four minutes. When this happens, you can toss the vegetables and the eggs back into the pan to reheat for a minute or two.
- About eight baby carrots
- One cup of apple cider vinegar
- One tablespoon of honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- ½ of a teaspoon of mustard seeds
- ½ of a teaspoon of black peppercorns
- ½ of a teaspoon of allspice berries
- 12 of a teaspoon of coriander seeds
- ½ of a teaspoon of fennel seeds
- One clove
First, make sure that the carrots are not thicker than ½ of an inch in diameter; if they are, cut them in half. Then, place all of the other ingredients together in a pot and bring them to a boil over high heat. Place the carrots in a mason jar, and pour the brine over the carrots. Refrigerate the carrots for at least two days so that they are pickled to the right degree. The carrots will keep for three months in the refrigerator, so you do not have to use them right away.
Dipping Sauces You’ll Love
Some of my favorite sauces to create with fish and chips include:
To create this sauce, all you need to do is combine the following ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- One cup of mayonnaise (do not use miracle whip for this recipe)
- One cup of finely chopped dill pickles
- One tablespoon of fresh dill
- One teaspoon of lemon juice
- One teaspoon of sugar
- ¼ of a teaspoon of black pepper
- Two tablespoons of finely chopped onions
Spicy Remoulade Sauce
If you are looking to kick your sauce up a notch by adding a bit of spice to it, try this recipe for spicy remoulade. You will need to combine the following ingredients to create the sauce:
- ½ of a cup of mayonnaise (I would not suggest miracle whip for this recipe because it makes it too sweet)
- ¼ of a cup of sour cream
- One tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Three medium-sized gherkin pickles (dill pickles will give you a more sour sauce)
- Two tablespoons of chopped capers
- ½ of a red pepper that has been finely chopped
- Two finely chopped scallions
- Two cloves of finely chopped garlic (you can also use about a tablespoon of minced garlic)
- A bunch of chopped parsley (I use about ¼ of a cup, but you can use more if you’d like)
- The juice of one lemon
- ½ of a teaspoon of salt
- ¼ of a teaspoon of black pepper
- Two teaspoons of crushed red pepper (more or less can be added depending on your spice tolerance)
I hope that you enjoy this Gordon Ramsay fish and chips recipe. I’d suggest following the recipe the first time that you make it, but after that, try exploring some of the other sides and dips to create your own unique variation of fish and chips so that you have a dish from the sea that you can make for your family for years to come.