There are some things that just taste like special events, childhood, and heaven all rolled into one – and Kraft Nacho Cheese Dip is one of those things. Whether you are looking to replicate the dip precisely with what you have on hand, or you are looking for a healthier version of an old favorite, you are in luck.A good Kraft nacho cheese recipe will mimic not only the taste of the original, but it will also replicate the mouthfeel- which is the hardest aspect.
Best ways to thicken
Grab these compiled tricks to get that desired sauce consistency, not just for your pasta, but also for your dessert and get a bonus content that you will surely love!
We’ve found some recipes that mimic that original formula and either improve upon it or make it healthier.
Kraft Nacho Cheese Recipe
We’ve worked diligently to find the best Kraft nacho cheese recipe that feels the most like the original. This one works best if you use the ingredients mentioned, but you can substitute as you see fit. It is quite simple to make and, in about 15 minutes, you will have a nacho cheese sauce to put over anything.
- 2 tbsp butter (softened)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (bleached for the brightest color)
- 1 cup milk (whole milk preferred)
- 7 slices processed American cheese (Kraft singles preferred, but any will work)
- 5 tsp salt
- Using medium heat, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour a bit at a time and combine well.
- Pour in milk and stir until it thickens considerably.
- Add in the cheese one slice at a time
- Add salt to taste
- Continue to stir until all the ingredients have blended together and the desired thickness is achieved
This recipe is easy to do and you can store the mixture for 4-5 days. It is best to reheat in the saucepan because that won’t ruin the texture. If you reheat in the microwave, you want to pause every 10 seconds or so to stir.
The great thing about homemade nacho cheese dip is that you can add other ingredients when you make it and they can actually be incorporated into the taste, unlike when you add something to the store-bought version. Add jalapenos, bell peppers, onions, salsa, sour cream, tomato sauce, pasta, or whatever else you want to create a new version your family will love.
Healthy Nacho Cheese Dip
Let’s be honest- no one is going to choose nacho cheese dip when they want to be healthy. It is kind of like chocolate chip cookies, it just doesn’t make sense to eat while trying to be healthy. Apart from the high sodium content and the calories, it is filled with processed ingredients.
However, that doesn’t mean you won’t still crave it from time to time. As such, we’ve made a recipe that will help you to indulge your cravings in a way that won’t make you as guilty.
- 1 tbsp cooking olive oil (sub your favorite oil)
- 1 tbsp multi-grain flour (sub whole wheat)
- 5 cups full-fat milk (if you don’t mind a different texture, you can use skim milk)
- 1 cup butternut squash puree (steam squash, then puree well)
- 2 cups grated medium cheddar cheese (sub any cheese that melts well for a more unique flavor)
- 5 teaspoon red pepper powder
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Warm milk over low-medium heat until it comes to a simmer (stir periodically).
- Heat oil in a pot on a medium-low flame.
- Add in the flour and stir at a brisk pace for 25-30 seconds.
- Add the warm milk in 0.5 cup at a time, whisking continuously. Be sure to eliminate any clumps. If you use milk that isn’t full fat, you may still have a grainy appearance to the dip.
- Stop stirring and let the sauce come to a simmer.
- Add in the butternut squash puree.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (you can add more before serving).
- Add the cheese and turn off the heat.
- Allow the cheese to mix in naturally, only stirring occasionally to move unmelted cheese into the center.
- Garnish and serve
If your sauce seems a bit thin, allow it to cool for a bit. When it cools, it will thicken considerably. It will stay in your fridge for 3-4 days. Once again, be sure to heat up on the stove instead of in the microwave.
Kraft Nacho Cheese is a great treat for the entire family– whether you are looking for something easy to make for dinner or you need a plate to bring to a Super Bowl party, there is nothing more crowd-pleasing than this familiar ingredient. You can even freeze these recipes for later use!