Who doesn’t love chicken? Whether it’s take-out or your mom’s wholesome dinner, from buffets to fine dining, chicken is a significant part of most cuisines.
You can enjoy this meat in a plethora of ways: boil it, fry it, bake it, anything. Most enthusiasts can tell you one of the best chicken dishes out there is Moe’s iconic chicken. It is a dish for the simpleton which is extremely easy to cook, using the most common ingredients available in almost every kitchen.
As simple as this dish is, it is perfect for many settings. For example, you can serve it to friends with chips and a side or maybe a formal dinner with a few work friends. Perhaps you’ve moved out, and Mom is coming over. It is the perfect dish for almost every occasion. Let’s find out how to Moe’s iconic chicken.
The Ingredients to Make Moe’s Chicken at Home
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 ½ sweet peppers
Star of The Dish: 2 Large Chicken Breasts
What Makes the Magic Happen?
Here is the list:
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 200 grams (about 7-8 oz) button mushrooms, sliced into quarters
- 1 oz water brought to a boil
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp corn flour (this is to add viscosity to the dish)
Now that we’ve got the ingredients out of the way, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty.
You can’t just throw the ingredients in the pot. Here are steps that you can follow:
Step 1: Fry chicken pieces until they gain color. Season the chicken pieces with garlic, salt and pepper. After adding, mix the chicken until the spices are spread evenly.
Move the chicken to a greased large pot with a lid.
Step 2: Add the butter to a pre-heated frying pan and melt it. Add chopped onions to the melted butter and fry until onions turn brown.
Step 3: After browning the onions, pour in the mushrooms and fry for 3 whole minutes while stirring. Add the black and sweet peppers and mix well. Transfer this concoction to the large pot.
Step 4: Stir the resulting mixture and bring to a boil.
Step 5: Reduce the heat and let simmer for 60 to 90 minutes with occasional stirring.
Step 6: Add lemon, a can of chicken stock, and mushroom soup.
Step 7: Add in corn flour dissolved in a little water and stir the mixture.
Tip: If you don’t like the consistency of the result, you can add more corn flour mixed with water.
Step 8: Cut up some potatoes and boil them. Serve the chicken with potato wedges, or if you’re not a fan of wedges, you can have crusty bread as a dip.
There are a few things you should know that might make your dish even better:
- Use Only Boneless Chicken Breasts: While there are many chicken cuts which may work for this recipe, perhaps the best one would be boneless chicken breasts. It is a dish meant to be eaten without much caution, which means that using cuts that may have bones could make eating cumbersome and a chore in general. To fully enjoy the dish, make sure you’re using clean, whole-breast pieces.
- The Spices: You are advised to use the spices as mentioned above, but if you’re a seasoned cook (pun intended), you might have a few additions in mind that might make this dish even better. Feel free to use them in whatever quantity you deem wise. However, if you’re new to the kitchen, we recommend following the recipe carefully.
Who says chicken is boring? It’s certainly not for us, which is why we’ve given you our most requested recipe.
While Moe’s chicken recipe is undoubtedly loved by all, we must remind you that it’s not a staple, and you will likely get bored of it if you’re making it multiple times a week. We’d suggest you safeguard this Moe’s Chicken Recipe and use it wisely.
It seems like a good idea to prepare this once and repurpose it the next day.It is certainly not recommended to freeze it for too long as it contains a considerable number of mushrooms.
This makes it susceptible to spoiling, and we certainly don’t want you to get food poisoning. Along with that, make sure you add a vegetable side or something with vegetables so you have a balanced meal.