The recipe I’m going to share with you today is the potato salad copycat recipe for the country-themed restaurant, Red Hot and Blue. If you have never heard of Red Hot and Blue, here’s a quick explanation. It’s a country-themed restaurant based in Arlington, Virginia.
The restaurant is mainly famous for its Memphis, Tennessee-style barbecue. The restaurant is also renowned for the fact that it’s simply a blues-rock themed restaurant, and the customers can look at all the memorabilia and listen to the music while they’re dining there.
However, as I said earlier, I’m going to be sharing their potato salad recipe, which is actually pretty easy to prepare! The thing that takes the longest is the cooking time.
Now, I’m sure you’re excited to make this, so I won’t keep you waiting any longer. Let’s dive into how to make this amazing Red Hot and Blue Potato Salad Recipe!
How to Make the Amazing Red Hot and Blue Potato Salad Recipe
- 4 lbs Red Bliss potatoes
- 4 Large eggs
- ½ cup Green onion top
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1¾ tsp Celery seeds
- 1¾ tsp Salt
Now that you have those ingredients set out, here are the directions for you to follow:
- Step 1: Steam the potatoes with the skin on for 45 minutes. Once the 45 minutes are up, set the potatoes aside until they are cool enough for you to handle.
- Step 2: Get out your saucepan of choice and boil the eggs. Same as the potatoes, set them aside until you feel they’re cool enough for you to handle. While these are cooking and boiling, get out a large bowl.
- Step 3: When the eggs are cool enough for you to handle, peel the eggs.
- Step 4: In the large bowl that you got out, put all of the remaining ingredients and mix them together thoroughly.
- Step 5: When you have the ingredients in the bowl mixed, chop the potatoes and eggs into bite-size pieces, and add them to your bowl. Then mix once more.
- Step 6: Once everything in the bowl is mixed, serve and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers, if there are any.
There are some very important notes I would like to make with this recipe, however;
- Make sure that, when you get to step 5, mix the eggs and potatoes with the other ingredients, absolutely make sure to mix gently. Otherwise, the mixture could possibly end up being a mushy mess.
- It is also recommended that you get the eggs 7–10 days in advance. Within that time frame, the egg develops an air bubble that makes it easier to peel the egg.
- This recipe can be chilled! The ingredients help the longevity of the potato salad.
While I’m specifically talking about the Red Hot and Blue potato salad in this article, I would like to note that there are also many ways to make potato salad in general! You can cut the potatoes into cubes or add various spices.
How Can You Pair This Salad with Other Foods?
Did you know that this potato salad, along with potato salad in general, can be paired with so many different foods? It’s typically served with barbeque, like how Red Hot and Blue serves it, but it’s said to pair well with other meats like grilled pork, chicken, and meatloaf!
As odd as some of the combinations may sound, it also goes well with other things like chicken nuggets (which can possibly be a plus for people who have children in the house, depending on what they like).
It’s also said that the potato salad pairs very well with grilled ham steak, as it’s considered to be a delicious combination, as well as giving the meal itself a Southern flavor.
It certainly is a great recipe to use for those who host summer gatherings like the typical backyard barbeque. This recipe also works for anyone wanting something new to have as a side with the family dinner.
Now that you know the Red Hot and Blue potato salad recipe, I’m sure that, no matter what you’re making the recipe for, the people you serve it to are probably going to clamor for seconds, ask you for the recipe so they can make it themselves, or both!
I hope this is a side dish which serves you well for years to come, and it makes it worth it to keep alongside your archive of other recipes you may have.