Last Updated Jan 2020 – Finding the right wide pressure cooker has solved half my problems in the kitchen. I’ve tried many cooking appliances over the years as I’ve cooked and sampled as many recipes as I could find on the internet. But the trial and error process of ascertaining which pressure cooker serves your purposes best can be understandably frustrating.
Best ways to thicken
Grab these compiled tricks to get that desired sauce consistency, not just for your pasta, but also for your dessert and get a bonus content that you will surely love!
To ensure that you do not have to go through the same hassle, I have curated a list of the best large pressure cookers that in my experience perform really well. These cookers not only cook your food very fast and reduce the time you spend in the kitchen, but they also save on your energy consumption.
They also tend to be multipurpose appliances that can be used for a wide range of cooking purposes. Are you a seasoned home cook or a newbie about to start your adventurous journey into the culinary world? Are you dissatisfied with your current cooker or confused about which one to buy?
If so, then you have come to the right place.
In this blog, I will discuss the 4 best large pressure cooker that I have worked with in detail so that you can easily make up your mind about which one to settle on.
Why Do You Need the Best Large Pressure Cooker?
Large pressure cookers are perfect for when you have to cook large amounts of food for Thanksgiving dinner or any other family dinner party. These devices help you cook just about anything in the shortest amount of time without any compromises made to the integrity and essence of the food.
The best large pressure cookers also come equipped with technology that prevents the aroma of the food from escaping while also preserving the taste.
Big Pressure Cookers – Bigger is Better!
If you want a big pressure cooker that solves the dilemma of having to cook for a large group of people in a short amount of time then big pressure cookers are your best option. They are my go-to choice when I have to entertain guests at a dinner party or any other gathering. Your best choice for high capacity pressure cookers are discussed in the next section.
So, without further ado here is my list of big pressure cookers that each have specific features to lend them a range of functionalities. You can choose any of them or even multiple if you so require, depending on which of these you think will best help you fulfill your cooking fantasies.
The Instant Pot DUO Plus is the latest large cooker offering from the Instant Pot DUO series that has been a big hit with cooking enthusiasts for a while. Having previously used the excellent DUO60, I decided to upgrade to this new model and I was not the least bit disappointed.
The DUO Plus functions as a 9-in-1 cooking device capable of functioning as a rice cooker, pressure cooker, yogurt maker, slower cooker, sautéing device, sterilizer, egg cooker, steamer, and cake maker.
The DUO Plus comes with many attractive features, some of which are missing in the older models of the DUO series. Some of these features include the following:
- 15 settings for common dishes that make the cooking process that much easier for even newbies who have never cooked before.
- 9 different functionalities that give you a wider range of usability for the cooker.
- Stainless steel interior of food grade 304 that ensures there is no chemical contamination of the food while cooking.
- The bottom of the cooker is coated with a 3-ply which ensures the uniform distribution of heat throughout the cooker. This results in evenly cooked food that does not stick to the bottom due to overheating.
- This big electric pressure cooker only consumes about 120V and 60Hz which makes it quite energy efficient.
The cooker comes equipped with a stylish blue LCD screen that displays the timer and 15 settings for preprogrammed dishes. This ensures that not only can you time the dishes being cooked in it but also that 15 of the most common dishes are just a click of a button away.
You do not have to supervise or put in any other type of manual effort into cooking them apart from just selecting the corresponding button on the panel.
- Cooks a lot of food in much less time
- Comes with easy to use preset recipe settings
- Energy efficient
- Preserves taste and aroma
- The settings may be confusing to some
- The seal in the interior is made of rubber and not to everyone’s taste
The All American is a large stainless steel pressure cooker which comes in six different sizes ranging from 10.5qt for the smallest to 41.5qt for the largest size. It is best suited for cooking a meal for a dinner party or for a large family gathering.
Furthermore, the All American also doubles as a canner with a completely metal finish that can be used to can anything from fish and meat to fruits and vegetables.
This pressure cooker comes with a dial gauge attached to it that allows you to read the pressure inside the container. This ensures that throughout the cooking process you are aware of the heat and pressure being used within the cooker. While this feature adds to your convenience, it also requires careful handling and maintenance.
The tips on how to best take care of it are given in the manual that comes with the kit.
This pressure cooker and canner come with a few significantly unique features that sets it apart from other cookers on our list. Some of these features include the following:
- The body is made of a durable aluminum cast that lends it longevity.
- The action clamps make the container air-tight once the lid is closed which works to retain all the heat and pressure within the cooker. This ensures that the canner can destroy more bacteria carried in meat as well as produce compared to regular canners or pressure cookers
- The valve containing 3 settings allows you to adjust the pressure of the cooker which gives you a more convenient cooking experience
The lid of the cooker comes with a holding extension covered in non-heat conducting material for more convenient handling. The lid also contains air-locking clamps that attach tightly to the container and seal the heat and aroma within the cooker. The six locks when tightened ensure that the lid and containing unit are properly aligned for a better cooking experience.
- Comes with a 72-page manual that makes handling the cooker very easy
- The air clamps ensure pressure is maintained within
- The cooker is easy to use and clean
- The handle on the lid is very convenient
- The pressure gauge may stop working after a while
- The plastic air clamps may break if not carefully handled
This extra large pressure cookerfrom T-fal has a capacity of 22qt and a stainless steel body that ensures rust prevention for a long while. The gasket pressure release system, control valve that adjusts pressure, and the indicator that displays the pressure all combine to make cooking a hassle-free experience even for newbies.
If this sleek looking cooker does not get you into cooking, then nothing will.
Due to the high pressure, this cooker deploys to cook the ingredients within, it can reduce cooking time by as much as 70%. This not only makes your cooking experience time-efficient but also helps save energy expended. All this is achieved with no compromise made to the taste, nutrient content, or the essence of the food cooked.
The other special features that make this cooker a favorite are as follows:
- It has three pressure settings that you can adjust and switch between. This allows you greater flexibility in deciding the intensity and pressure you require to cook your food.
- The lid, when closed, does a good job of sealing the container and locking in both the heat to ensure fast cooking and the flavors to protect the essence of the dish.
This cooking unit is functional on both stovetops as well as induction surfaces.
The bottom of the unit is also coated with a special material to ensure even distribution of heat throughout the surface. This allows the food contained within to be cooked in a uniform manner and prevents burned food from getting stuck to the bottom due to overheating.
- Provides easy and safe handling
- Compatible with multiple cooking surfaces
- The steam basket allows you to adjust the height of the cooker
- The recipe book with the kit helps newbies try new dishes
- The adjustable pressure valve does not go above 13.5 PSI
- The lid may sometimes leak around the handle
This canner and cooker from Presto comes in an entire steel finish throughout the body. The bottom is clad with tri-coating that not only evenly distributes heat throughout the surface but also helps the food to be cooked faster. This is due to the fact that uniform heat distribution allows the food to be cooked evenly no matter which part of the container it is situated in.
The cooker also contains a steaming basket that can be used to cook several kinds of food in one go without having the different dishes mix. This feature allows you to enjoy food while preserving the integrity of nutrients, quality, and taste. It also allows you to save on time and energy expended to cook the dishes by a lot as you can cook several types of food simultaneously in the same cooker.
The Presto cooker has multiple functionalities as both a cooker and canner that can be used on meat, fish, fruits, and vegetables. Some of its other attractive features that have allowed it to be ranked so high consistently by me and my fellow home cook enthusiasts are:
- Capable of doubling as a boiling water canner for fruit or even meat pickles which gives you a greater range of usability for this cooking unit.
- The pressure gauge enables you to get a precise reading of the pressure maintained within the container while cooking which can be a great help when cooking at higher altitudes.
- The size of the canner and pressure cooker is extra large which works best for cooking and canning large quantities of food.
The time taken to cook any dish is halved in this device due to the air-lock sealing mechanism applied. Combined with this, the pressure and steam release mechanism further make it so that you can cook both white meat and fruits in this appliance in just a few minutes and in about half as much time as in regular cookers.
- The safety measures built into the unit are strict
- The unit is easy to use and clean
- The aluminum build is scratch resistant and looks sleek
- Has multiple functionalities as canner and cooker
- The pressure gauge often stops working
- The sealing lock sometimes takes a while to activate
Thus, it is clear that any of these pressure cookers would meet a variety of your needs as a home cook and you cannot really go wrong with them as your options. But the final decision about which of one of these to buy will depend on your exact needs.
So first ascertain your exact needs about a large pressure cooker and then make your call as these cookers are all quite long lasting and you will likely continue to use them for years.