There are many ingredients, small kitchen tools and other equipment one needs in order to bake or cook quality food, and among the most important is using one of the best oven thermometers.
It goes without saying that there is a slew of recipes online that anyone can follow. However, if you want to make sure that whatever you cook or bake in your oven turns out absolutely perfect then there is no way to accomplish that without an oven thermometer. There are a number of oven thermometers available on both the online and the offline markets.
Most of these oven thermometers have their own specific features which give them unique appeal for certain customers. However, there are also a number of factors people should keep in mind before going ahead and buying their oven thermometers.
So, in today’s article, we will be taking a look at the four best oven thermometers currently present on the market. But before that, we will discuss the various features that need to be considered before purchasing oven thermometers. We will also be looking at a great guide that will help you to use all your oven thermometers perfectly.
Features to Consider When Choosing an Oven Thermometer
Oven thermometers are a type of cooking equipment that is primarily used to check the temperature of the oven when cooking or baking something. These thermometers double check the reading of the oven already displayed on the oven dial.
The function performed by this cooking equipment might appear too simple and of no large consequence, but assuring just the right temperature while cooking or baking can guarantee that you get only the most delicious and balanced dishes. Simply, if someone wants to cook or bake really perfect dishes in his or her own oven, then oven thermometers are highly beneficial.
But it is important to choose only the best oven thermometers which are of extremely good quality.
Therefore, to understand what you should look for while shopping for oven thermometers, I have done some categorization which you would do well to keep in mind when considering the best oven thermometer for your needs. Let’s have a look.
A variety of thermometers present on the market serve specific purposes. You might find an oven thermometer for baking. Some others could be labeled as oven thermometers for roasting or oven thermometers for grilling.
Due to their specific features, these thermometers vary in temperature ranges, material, quality and price. It’s important to consider these ground rules before any purchase. If one has a specific purpose in mind for which the thermometer will be used, then they should only purchase those kinds of oven thermometers.
The Glass Bulb or the Dial Feature
According to various studies, it has been constantly proven that most ovens available on the market depict wildly inaccurate temperatures. A lot of studies have shown that even if many ovens are set at the same temperature, there will be variations in their heating.
For example, if there are ten ovens and all of them are set at a temperature of 90 Degree Celsius then not every single of those ovens will heat at a temperature of 90 degree Celsius. Some ovens might have a temperature range between 60 degrees to 70 degrees while the other ovens might be heating at 80 degrees.
So, temperature accuracy is a major reason to buy an oven thermometer.
You can find two different major types of displays in the oven thermometers. These displays are either of the glass bulb or the dial variety. In earlier times the oven thermometers with glass bulb displays contained mercury liquid within them. However, due to various safety reasons that liquid mercury has been replaced by colored alcohol.
These display types can have a strong effect on the readability of the temperature depicted by the oven thermometers. Hence it is important for you to choose a thermometer that consists of a display type which makes it easier to read. In most cases, the dial display type is more easily readable when compared to glass bulb display oven thermometers.
Instant Read Thermometers
As I have mentioned above, a wide range of oven thermometers are available out there. One such type available are instant read thermometers. These instant read thermometers are not usually safe to use in a working oven or an oven that is switched on.
However, the instant read thermometers are instead used by sticking them inside the food a person might be cooking. This will not help one to determine the temperature of the oven. In fact, it will denote the temperature of the food itself.
Through this method, the person cooking can judge if the food that he or she is preparing is done or whether it needs to be cooked or baked further. The Instant Read Thermometers are in great demand nowadays more than any other thermometer.
The Method of Attachment
Oven thermometers can also be classified on the basis of the type of attachment they possess. There are oven thermometers which have an extremely sturdy base that enables the thermometer to simply be left standing in the oven. Other types of oven thermometers have a clip that functions to attach the thermometer to the oven, making for a fine grip.
The next classification of oven thermometers are those which come with an attached hook. These oven thermometers can simply be hanged in the oven with the help of that hook. Each of these methods of attachment have their own advantages and disadvantages associated with them.
It’s always important for an individual to consider these pros and cons of the oven thermometers before they buy one for their kitchen.
It is vital for any prospective chef to understand that having inaccurate oven thermometers are even worse than using no oven thermometers at all.
This is simply because of the fact that using the inaccurate kind of oven thermometers will give you false confidence that you are cooking or baking your food items perfectly. And it goes without saying that if any of those oven thermometers are inaccurate then they can surely mess up your entire dish. Hence it is important for you to ensure that the oven thermometers you buy are going to be accurate.
You should always remember before purchasing an oven thermometer that having a low-grade thermometer not only messes up your food but also will not last long. So you should not opt for low quality just to save some money but rather buy an authentic product that remain stable. Stability here means a thermometer that is going to possibly last for a lifetime with reliability in readings.
So, in summary, I have just discussed all the important features that one should look for before exploring the market.
Getting the Most Accurate Oven Thermometers For Your Kitchen
In this section, I will be sharing specific features of some of the best oven thermometers. I’ve put four oven thermometers in my list of the best.
We will also be drawing comparisons between the specific features of all these oven thermometers. And for the ease of our readers, we have narrowed all of that down in the form of a table. Let’s have a look at the table of features below.
||CDN Pro Accurate Oven Thermometer
||Rubbermaid Oven Thermometer FGTHO550
||Taylor Classic Series Large Dial Oven Thermometer
||Cooper-Atkins 24HP-01-1 Stainless Steel Bi-Metal Oven Thermometer 100 to 600 degrees F Temperature Range|
|Item Dimensions||7.5 x 5 x 1.8 inches
||2 x 4.5 inches||8 x 1.5 x 4.9 inches||0.6 x 1.2 x 0.9 inches|
||Stainless Steel Body
||Stainless Steel Body
||Stainless steel Body
||Stainless Steel Body
|Oven Thermometers Style
||ProAccurate Oven Thermometer which comes with a wide base and a two-way hook that allows it to be placed anywhere inside an oven
||It comes with a wide base that can allow it to stand properly in an oven. There is also a two-way hook that can allow users to hang this device in any way that they see fit inside the oven
||It has a unique design that allows it to stand either on its own or be hung inside the oven
||It comes both with a wide base and a hook. This allows this particular device to be placed standing inside an oven or to be hung inside the oven in any possible manner
|Item Temperature Range
||150 degree F to 550 degree F or 70 degree C to 280 degree C
||30 degree F to 570 degree F or 20 degree C to 300 degree C
||-20 degree F to 80 degree F or -30 degree C to 30 degree C
||100 degree F to 600 degree F or 50 degree C to 300 degree C
|Thermometer Display Style
||A large 2-1 or 4 inch dial that comes with a red colored needle
||A large dial that comes with a red colored needle. The display is also covered with a glass that will not shatter
||Comes with a 3.25 inches analog dial that results in fast and easy readings of the temperature
||The display style is a dial that is covered by a glass lens
||NSF Certified or approved
||NSF Certified or approved
||NSF Certified or approved
|The Total Warranty Period
||It comes with a 5 year warranty period
|Other Important Features
||This product comes with target range indication
||This product has a sleek design that allows for easy installation inside the oven
||It comes with an oversized 3.25 inch dial
||This product comes with a HACCP dial reference. It further has an accuracy level of +/- 25 degrees F
Hence, these are some of the most important features of the four best and most accurate oven thermometers that currently exist on the entire market. In the next sections, we will dive into all these oven thermometers.
Here are the details of the CDN Pro Accurate Oven Thermometer.
- This product is silver in color and its entire body is made from stainless steel
- This product also has quite a wide base along with a two-way hook. These features allow this particular product to be placed or hanged quite easily inside the oven
- It measures the temperature both in Fahrenheit and Celsius. The temperature range is 150 degrees F to 550 degrees F or 65 degrees C to 290 degrees C
- It comes with a large 2-1 or 4 inch dial that also has a red colored needle within it. The glass is extremely durable. This makes the entire reading procedure extremely easy
- It is NSF certified which ensures that this particular product is of high quality and also that it has been tested by professionals in a lab
- This product comes with a total of 5 years of warranty
- The weight of the product is only 2.88 ounces and its dimensions are 7.5 x 5 x 1.8 inches. All this ensures that this product is easy for anyone to handle and use
These are all the major features and details of this device.
We will now be looking at the features of the Rubbermaid Oven Thermometer FGTHO550 in detail.
- This product is silver in color and is made with stainless steel
- This product is also NSF certified or approved which should assure all potential users of its extremely high quality
- This product can measure the temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The range of temperature of this particular product is 30 degrees F to 570 degrees F or 20 degrees C to 300 degrees C
- This product weighs around a total of 2.4 ounces or 0.15 pounds. The dimensions of this product are 2 x 4.55 inches. All this ensures that this product is easy to handle and use inside any particular oven
- The dial of this product is also easy to read and further comes with a needle which is red in color
These are all the major features of this device.
Next, we will be looking at the specific features of the Taylor Classic Series Large Dial Oven Thermometer in detail.
- This product is silver in color and it furthermore has a body that is made up of metal stainless steel
- This device comes with an extra-large or oversized dial that is 3.25 inches in its diameter. The dial further is covered with a glass and it also contains a needle which is red in color. All these specific features ensure that the temperature displayed by the product is easy to read and understand
- This product shows its temperature readings in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The temperature range of this product is 100 degrees F to 600 degrees F or minus 30 degrees C to 30 degrees C
- This device has a unique design which allows it to stand easily inside an oven as well as hung easily inside the oven
- This device weighs around 2.88 ounces and its dimensions are 8 x 1.5 x 4.9 inches. These facts ensure that this particular device is easy to handle and use inside an oven as well
These are all the major features of this particular product in detail.
In this section, we will be looking at all the specific features of the Cooper-Atkins 24HP-01-1 Stainless Steel Bi-Metal Oven Thermometer, 100 to 600 degrees F Temperature Range in all its details. The details of this product are mentioned below.
- This product is silver in color and its entire body is made from a metal of stainless steel
- This device weighs around a total of 2.4 ounces and has the dimensions of 0.6 x 1.2 x 0.9 inches. These facts ensure that this particular device is extremely easy to be handled or used inside any particular oven
- This device also has a HACCP dial reference for all its users
- This product shows its temperature range in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The temperature range of this particular device is 100 degrees F to 600 degrees F or 50 degrees C to 300 degrees C. This product also has an accuracy of plus or minus 25 degrees F. This makes this entire product extremely reliable and easy to use within any oven
- This product is also NSF approved
- The dial of this product is covered with a strong glass
These are all the major features and details of this product.
What to know before using your thermometer
If you own some kind of oven thermometers and want to make sure that your oven thermometers last you for a long period of time, and more importantly want to get the best possible uses out of your oven thermometers, then there are a few tips you need to follow. These tips are mentioned below. You should definitely practice these tips if you own any kind of oven thermometers.
- Know the Thermometer Types: We have gotten to know the different types of thermometers and the basis on which they differ such as support offered, material used, display type, quality and many other factors. It is essential for you to be aware about the multiple features of your oven thermometers. This will let you make the best use of your oven thermometers.
- Calibrate and Test the Thermometers: Most professional oven thermometer users generally make sure that their oven thermometers are as accurate as possible. There are a few tests you can also go ahead with to ensure that your oven thermometers are accurate. One of these tests includes placing your oven thermometers in boiling water or ice cold water. In these cases, either the temperature of boiling water or ice cold water will be displayed on the oven thermometers. If the temperature displayed on your oven thermometers is correct then you can easily rely on them. But if the temperature of your oven thermometers is off then you can either calibrate it yourself or contact the manufacturer of the oven thermometers directly.
- Use Two Oven Thermometers: As mentioned above, most ovens we use these days tend to keep a temperature which is a little ways off from the temperature that it is meant to display on the screen or dial of the oven. We also got educated about the fact that not all oven thermometers are accurate. A number of thermometers are responsible for poor results and because of this particular fact many professionals have developed some methods around the problem. One of the methods to solve the problem is using two different oven thermometers. If both the oven thermometers being used are displaying the same temperature then that means that the temperature is right and the cook can make the necessary adjustments.
- Learn to Use the Oven Thermometers Properly: It might appear quite obvious but one of the biggest factors that can allow you to maintain the life of your oven thermometers is safeguarding the proper use of your oven thermometers. This particular tip will also ensure that you get only the best and the most accurate temperature measurements and getting the best possible use out of your oven thermometers. There are a number of how-to guides that you can find and go over if you need to. We have also mentioned a similar but more exhaustive guide that will help all our readers understand the exact steps needed to ensure they are using their oven thermometers properly or in an appropriate manner.
- Clean Your Oven Thermometers: It almost goes without saying but it is crucial to check that your oven thermometers are quite clean before and after use. You should always take care that your oven thermometers don’t get rusted or grainy. These are not just extremely dangerous to use in your oven but can also cause health hazards. Hence you should always follow proper procedures or steps so that your oven thermometers stay as clean as possible. Some of these procedures or steps include wiping your oven thermometers with a clean cloth before and after use. You should also make sure to clean your oven thermometers with a cloth dipped in soapy warm water. And if it is some kind of digital thermometer then you should turn off the battery of the digital thermometer to preserve its overall battery life.
These are some of the most popular and useful tips that an individual can follow to guarantee that the oven thermometers the are using work properly. Furthermore these tips will help to maintain a longer product life.
How to Use Oven Thermometers and Get the Best Results
Any kind of commercial oven thermometer plays a very important part in the cooking or baking that takes place in the kitchen. If you wish to use your oven thermometers flawlessly then it is recommended to follow some specific steps of using oven thermometers wisely. The steps that will guide you to use your oven thermometers most effectively are mentioned below.
- Place the Thermometer in the Oven: This might seem like an elementary step but it is extremely important for you to place your oven thermometers properly. The temperature of the oven yielded will indeed depend upon the position of your thermometer inside the oven. The correct position will make it work accurately and ensure the temperature displayed is as accurate as possible. If you wish to have the best possible reading then it is important for you to place your thermometer in the middle of the rack inside your oven. However, if the thermometer you are using is of a larger model or size then you can place it in as central a position as possible.
- Set the Oven on a Right Temperature: Once you have placed your thermometer in the correct position then go ahead setting the right temperature of your oven. The oven you are using might have either a digital display or a dial. When you get the indication that the oven is in the preheating zone then all you need to do is wait for the oven to heat up to the desired temperature.
- During the Preheating Procedure: While you are waiting for the oven to heat up and reach the desired temperature it is suggested not to open the door of the oven. If you do, it may result in the heat escaping from the oven which means the oven will take longer to heat and reach the desired temperature.
- Provide Some Additional Time: It is usually suggested to make room for some additional time for the oven and thermometer to generate desired results. This additional time will produce more accurate results. This step is an important one which is actually skipped by a majority of the users.
- Adjust the Temperature of the Oven: Once you have the oven and the thermometer have attained sufficient temperature then the next step is to make sure you adjust the temperature of the oven according to the large dial oven thermometers. This particular step might take a few trials to reach the desired temperature. But, then again, setting the right temperature guarantees your dishes will not be spoiled.
- Put the Food In and Follow the Recipe: Once the right temperature is adjusted on your oven then go ahead and insert your favorite recipe and wait for the delicious dish to satisfy your hunger like never before.
That’s all! We have discussed everything thoroughly and now you are well-equipped with all the knowledge you need if you are buying, testing and using oven thermometer.
I will put an end to my thermometer review by saying that, after going through all the details of oven thermometers as well as the tips and tricks of how to select the best oven thermometer we can easily say that the most important thing is the user’s choice according to their need.
There are many oven thermometers on the market and each of those oven thermometers has advantages and disadvantages. If any user wishes to buy the best high-temperature oven thermometer, I would recommend going through this review again to make the perfect choice for their personal oven thermometer.
I hope we have answered all your questions regarding the best oven thermometers. Stay tuned for more reviews, we will be back soon with another one.